Southern Afghanistan

moshjarcus

No Jeep wheeling for me for the next few months, but I do drive a M-ATV everywhere - Such a top heavy vehicle and almost rolled mine the other day thinking it was a Jeep. Base price of these lovely vehicles are upwards of $750,000 but are VERY capable off-road through mud and steep angles.

We climbed a mountain and I wanted to share some photos for all the rock climbing (with your hands). If this place wasn't such a war torn country it might be actually an awesome place to wheel.

MATV's at the mountain

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Hope you all enjoy!

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Yeah that would have been sweet! I was stuck with an M1114. Heavy ass pig with an itsy bitsy turbo on it..lol..

Paratroopers stay up longer!

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I was happy. The first tour in Iraq we had the same trucks, but the armor wasnt as good as they were my second time there. The new trucks are sweet.
You should get some badass pics of Afghanistan, it really is a pretty country up in the mountains.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

MobyJR

I liked KAF hopefully you'll get to spend some time there. Lol I never did but it was nice going there on my way out.

moshjarcus

I liked KAF hopefully you'll get to spend some time there. Lol I never did but it was nice going there on my way out.

it's funny you say that - yea we've spent some time there. I do NOT like it all there..just in general...and it's bad to go to a place where your entrance brief includes there is a risk of males being raped. :icon_crazy:

moshjarcus

male on male rapings? No thanks, I'm happy here in FOB Salerno. Though I may be heading to FOB Shank soon.

Yes sir. Exactly how I feel - I'm at Camp Nathan Smith right now, but will be heading to FOB Walton.

KAF also has a stupid PT belt rule...

Last edited:

jedg

Both CNS and FOB Walton are pretty good. KAF, not so much. FOB Walton is named after my former team leader from my first deployment to AFG.

moshjarcus

Both CNS and FOB Walton are pretty good. KAF, not so much. FOB Walton is named after my former team leader from my first deployment to AFG.

No kidding. I was wondering where the name Walton came from. Any details you'd like to provide I'd be more than happy to learn and share with my company. Hadn't seen a sign yet but have only had very limited exploration.

jedg

He was a great guy. LTC Jim Walton is his name. He and four others were killed in Kandahar in June of 2008 when the MRAP they were in struck and IED. There is a memorial to him at the FOB. He was on a transition team. His third deployment. Twice to Iraq and then to AFG. We were 1/2 way through our deployment.

He was a great mentor and friend.

EOD-JKU

I am right there with you mate. I am a contractor in Helmand for an EOD company we just cruise around is Ford F350's though (Barf!).

Top Bottom