FAKE Rubicon Decal Removal... Help

JK_Jonny305

I just got my JK about a week ago now, it really bothers me that the previous owner was posing as a Rubicon. This guy was all out... he had the spare cover that said Rubicon, Rubicon license plate frame, Rubicon decal on hood and sides, he even had a Rubicon keychain w/ the keys. :thinking::doh:

Does anyone know if removing the decals will leave a mark on the paint from sun exposure (kind of like a "farmers tan")? Additionally, please share your best/most effective methods to remove decals without causing any damage. Thanks!

Here's a pic of the sticker I want to remove:
decals.jpg

I took these ugly 4x4 stickers also took off the x and a off road sticker I used a hair dryer to heat it up and peeled it with my finger nair it did leave a but off goop but I took it off with a sock and goop off it does require some elbow grease. It did leave a little tan I don't know how long it was on there since I bought my jeep used but the tan wasn't even noticeable but it went away after like a month

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130328_114210.png
    ForumRunner_20130328_114210.png
    480.3 KB · Views: 513

JK_Jonny305

I would try using your first fingernail first. Should peel off easily.

I started peeling it a little and it does seem like it would be easy to remove even wit my fingernail.

But before I went ahead and removed it all together I wanted to do a little research on what kind of marks it may leave behind and what the most effective method would be. It irks me every time I see it though lol... I'll probably end up losing it one of these days and I will just take it off in a spur of the moment
:tantrum:

BlackKnight

Also, Any tan line left should be able to be taken out by a buff and shine, Tan lines are usually an oxidation of the Clear coat next to the "un-oxidized that was under the sticker..

JK_Jonny305

I took these ugly 4x4 stickers also took off the x and a off road sticker I used a hair dryer to heat it up and peeled it with my finger nair it did leave a but off goop but I took it off with a sock and goop off it does require some elbow grease. It did leave a little tan I don't know how long it was on there since I bought my jeep used but the tan wasn't even noticeable but it went away after like a month

Hairdryer! BRILLIANT!!!

Moparman

I swapped my silver ones out for black and just used my fingernail. Mine was only about a month old and I could see where the stickers was but just used some bug and tar remover and took any sign of it away. Then applied my new ones and waxed it. Good as new!!

Rivertoys

I remove all factory stickers from my cars (if I had a Rubi, I'd remove that too). I also own a vinyl cutter, so I can always make what I want.

Hair dryer is the way to go. Be careful with the finger nail, it can scratch the warm surface. As it heats up, peel it back as close to itself as you can. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not. Depends on many facts. Once off, give it a good wax. You might need to use something strong like acetone or gasoline, just go lightly. THEN heavy wax.

Rivertoys

Yeah short for a rubicon what they just changed the tires?

I was saying if I had purchased a Rubicon edition JK (which has a "RUBICON" sticker on the hood), I would have removed that along with all of the other stickers Jeep puts on the vehicle. I always remove factory stickers, and I have on every vehicle I've ever owned. Based on that experience, I was confirming the hair dryer is the way to go.

Sounds like the Jeep in question the person was trying to create a Rubicon clone.... no 44 front, no 4:1 transfer case, etc. etc..... but it appeared to have all of the stickers and badging of a Rubicon.

JK_Jonny305

I was saying if I had purchased a Rubicon edition JK (which has a "RUBICON" sticker on the hood), I would have removed that along with all of the other stickers Jeep puts on the vehicle. I always remove factory stickers, and I have on every vehicle I've ever owned. Based on that experience, I was confirming the hair dryer is the way to go.

Sounds like the Jeep in question the person was trying to create a Rubicon clone.... no 44 front, no 4:1 transfer case, etc. etc..... but it appeared to have all of the stickers and badging of a Rubicon.

Right... the previous owner just wanted people to THINK he had a Rubicon but it's really just a regular 'ol JKU

Top Bottom