best offroading tire in snow?

Otzy

Hey guys, just wondering what your opinion are on the best tire for a combination both snow and dry offroading.

I've been looking at the toyo A/T and the nitto A/T because they have a lot of siping, but i dont know how they hold up off of snow. anyone running em?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey guys, just wondering what your opinion are on the best tire for a combination both snow and dry offroading.

I've been looking at the toyo A/T and the nitto A/T because they have a lot of siping, but i dont know how they hold up off of snow. anyone running em?

hmmm good question im curious to hear everyones responses cause it seems (from looking at everyones rigs) these are 2 every has run or is running.

TrailBear

What type of snow? One of the best for my area is a BFG AT there work awesome here, one of the best we have seen for ice and frozen compact. The dura trac looks like it would be a great all round snow tire. I was happy with the performance of my toyo mts but I had them siped when I bought the because ice performance was the only knock I had heard about them. The toyo at 2's look to be one that should have good performance as well. Your driving style will make a huge difference on the tires performance as well, if you over drive the tire it won't seem as capable compared to a tire that can handle a bit more. Just my thoughts, but what works here might not work where you are.

If you don't push the limits how do you find them??

i use bfg km2s all year round. work pretty well in powder but if your driving on anything else it doesnt seem to matter what you have. airing down is what gets you moving in the snow. I have seen bald generic non aggressive tread tires aired down to 12psi work just as well as km2s on similar weighted vehicles.

Devallee

i use bfg km2s all year round. work pretty well in powder but if your driving on anything else it doesnt seem to matter what you have. airing down is what gets you moving in the snow. I have seen bald generic non aggressive tread tires aired down to 12psi work just as well as km2s on similar weighted vehicles.

I have the toyos and have used them in the snow and they're pretty solid. X2 on what he said tho. Powder isn't too bad, packed snow or ice isn't the best. And again like he said airing down is the key, no matter what tire you have.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Duratracs are argued to be the best in the snow. I ran them last year and agree that they did very well. This year I ran nitto trail grapplers and I think they did equally as well in the snow. However, the nittos are much better off road. 👍

Dixon4x4

I have run Dura Tracs, Toyo AT, and Nitto Mud Grapplers. They all perform very well depending on the type of terrain. The Dura Tracs I would say ate one of the best all around tire as far as snow, off-road, and pavement driving. The best is the Nitto Mud Grapplers for snow and off-road, there only fault would be the tire noise on pavement. Of course these are just my opinions from personal experience, it comes down to what type of terrain you run, what type of snow you are in, and what you expect from a tire. If you are in a wet packing snow the more aggressive tread is going to do better, but if it is a fine powder snow nothing will do good except a winch.

09 JKU
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Otzy

ah thanks for the great advice guys,

i didnt know that airing down was that important for snow, how about ice? haha

and ill look into the nittos and duratracs to.

1BAMFR

The biggest concern is tire pressure...I'm sure alot of tires are great in the snow.....airing down makes traction night and day for snow wheeling!

last minute comment :p

I currently run the mud grapplers and air down to 9-10 psi in the snow and they kick ass. I have run a few tires (never duratracs) and these are by far the clear winners. Like stated above they do have some road hummmmmmmmmm :yep: but to me its worth it. My late .02 :-D

orngcrushrgrl

Our Cepeks (mud country) did amazing in the snow in Utah. We were out in the middle of nowhere playin with snowmobiles. The tread has amazing side bite

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
On the street with my Duratracs, I drove through 14" of fresh snow.....in 2WD, they are that good. Remember to read responses with a grain of salt. Mud terrains do very well in the snow...but in VIRGIN snow (not compacted). This is usually found only DURING a storm or offroad. Generally speaking, on tarmac the snow is compacted and/or ice, and MTs perform very poorly.

I agree with
QUOTE=NFRs2000NYC;84572]Remember to read responses with a grain of salt.[/QUOTE]

But do not 100% agree with
QUOTE=NFRs2000NYC;84572]snow is compacted and/or ice, and MTs perform very poorly[/QUOTE]

Yes some are better than others but do your research. I have driven some MT's on snow/ice that just suck but on the same snow, same day another set were awesome. Its all about driving style too...I've seen some people blast through snow like its mud and others go for the slow approach.

But like NFRs2000NYC said MT's do kick ass in the soft stuff :thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I agree with
NFRs2000NYC;84572]Remember to read responses with a grain of salt.

But do not 100% agree with
=NFRs2000NYC;84572]snow is compacted and/or ice, and MTs perform very poorly

Yes some are better than others but do your research. I have driven some MT's on snow/ice that just suck but on the same snow, same day another set were awesome. Its all about driving style too...I've seen some people blast through snow like its mud and others go for the slow approach.

But like NFRs2000NYC said MT's do kick ass in the soft stuff :thumb:
The problem with all MT tires is that MTs use a harder compound than ATs. This makes them poor performers because on compacted snow and ice you need flex in the nubs to grab. Furthermore, MTs are not siped. If you get them siped, due to the fact that they are made of a harder compound, the nubs become weaker, and they will being to tear apart, ruining the tire. Without sipes, the grooves between the nubs fill with snow, and even out with the nubs, becoming essentially slick tires. This isn't a major issue offroad on powder, but on tarmac with compacted snow/ice it is a major problem. MTs have their place, but they are worse ON the road at everything compared to an AT. The MTs are superior offroad, no question about that, but the best jack of all trades tire IMHO is the Duratrac. It's great in all categories, excellent in none. Dedicated winter tires are excellent on street snow and ice, and rain, but worse everywhere else. MTs are ok on the road but excellent offroad. Gotta pick your poison.

Last edited:

TheDuff

Duratracs are pretty impressive. We went a lot of places in a stock 2dr sahara on 33's in moab last week. They worked great every where.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Duratracs are pretty impressive. We went a lot of places in a stock 2dr sahara on 33's in moab last week. They worked great every where.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

From what I hear their sidewalls are weaker than most, so if you are planning on some seriously serious offroading, you may be at a disadvantage, but otherwise, love em.

Top Bottom