Front End Alignment

Devallee

I was reading through this http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment and had tried re-aligning my steering wheel and it worked great so I read on. I wanted to try out re-centering my front axle and checked under the jeep to see if I had an adjustable front track bar and I do. However, the pic and explanation said to disconnect the end that was mounted to the axle and adjust it. When I looked at mine, the adjustable end was on the side mounted to the frame. The axle mounted end was not adjustable. Probably a noob question but is it possible to be on there the wrong way? Should the adjustable end be mounted to the axle? Or are there all different types of track bars and I'm just confused for no reason?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was reading through this http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment and had tried re-aligning my steering wheel and it worked great so I read on. I wanted to try out re-centering my front axle and checked under the jeep to see if I had an adjustable front track bar and I do. However, the pic and explanation said to disconnect the end that was mounted to the axle and adjust it. When I looked at mine, the adjustable end was on the side mounted to the frame. The axle mounted end was not adjustable. Probably a noob question but is it possible to be on there the wrong way? Should the adjustable end be mounted to the axle? Or are there all different types of track bars and I'm just confused for no reason?

Different companies design track bars differently and yours could just have the adjuster on the other side. But, if you want to make sure, post up a pic and we'll let you know.

Devallee

Now that I look at the picture I'm guessing there's only one logical way to put it on because of the bend being over the front driveshaft thingy (excuse my ignorance). But this looks right, right? Am I still able to do the re-centering with this track bar?

image-4280324858.jpg

Attachments

• image-3692143576.jpg
    image-3692143576.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2842442533.jpg
    image-2842442533.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 68

Devallee

And please excuse the mess lol I'm having a power steering leak coming from the top of the pitman arm that I haven't gotten around to getting fixed yet

dchew

Caught the Bug
That is the RE 1673 and yes, it is on there correctly. The "front driveshaft thingy" is your front differential. :thumb:

You can center your axle with that, assuming it has the range you need. Measure from the outside top center of the tire to some where on either the frame or the body. I would recommend the frame if you can. Don't measure at the front or back of the tire because you might not have the steering exactly straight. If the driver side sticks out more, lengthen the trackbar about half the difference between your two measurements.

You gotta drive it at least a little with a turn left and right before you measure again to see if you got it right.

Hopefully your leak is from one of the two fittings that bring fluid from the pump or to the reservoir.

Dave

Devallee

That is the RE 1673 and yes, it is on there correctly. The "front driveshaft thingy" is your front differential. :thumb:

You can center your axle with that, assuming it has the range you need. Measure from the outside top center of the tire to some where on either the frame or the body. I would recommend the frame if you can. Don't measure at the front or back of the tire because you might not have the steering exactly straight. If the driver side sticks out more, lengthen the trackbar about half the difference between your two measurements.

You gotta drive it at least a little with a turn left and right before you measure again to see if you got it right.

Hopefully your leak is from one of the two fittings that bring fluid from the pump or to the reservoir.

Dave

Differential!! Sorry I had a brain fart at the time :cheesy: but ok perfect thank you for the help. Just wanted to make sure I had everything right

Top Bottom