Running lean.

billybob990

I give up on trouble shooting, I'm new to the jeep world I've always owned chevys and I ask a lot of questions on here but this will be the last one for awhile, I swear lol its a 97 2.5 and its running lean and idling funny. I have 51 psi at the fuel rail and that's perfect, the only thing left is the injectors, but it makes no sense why it idles funny when you get in or out of it while its running. I can start it get out and shake the jeep and it will idle up and down. What is it?!?! Lol I'm at a dead end.

billybob990

Sounds like it might be a loose connector somewhere is the check engine light on??

no unfortunately, it works and i hooked up a computer to it to see if maybe there was a code and it just not turning on but there is no code
i do have a broken body ground that i havent fixed yet, but i still dont know what to do about it running lean, when i replaced the head gasket the valves were white

jbaskin28

Sounds to me like an injector. One may not be firing. Best way to check: start at the first one, motor off, disconnect fuel injector. Turn on. If idle changes, then the injector is good. If it doesn't, find a replacement. So that to all the injectors. Hopefully that's all it is!

I had a 90 300ZX that was only firing on 3 of 6 cylinders and it sounded awful!! The idle ran low and would die out or would bounce from almost stalling out to a normal or above normal idle. Used the above technique and fixed it in about 30 minutes after troubleshooting.

Good luck!

billybob990

Sounds to me like an injector. One may not be firing. Best way to check: start at the first one, motor off, disconnect fuel injector. Turn on. If idle changes, then the injector is good. If it doesn't, find a replacement. So that to all the injectors. Hopefully that's all it is!

I had a 90 300ZX that was only firing on 3 of 6 cylinders and it sounded awful!! The idle ran low and would die out or would bounce from almost stalling out to a normal or above normal idle. Used the above technique and fixed it in about 30 minutes after troubleshooting.

Good luck!

ill give it a try tomorrow after i get the jeep back from the upholster and hook up my body ground thanks for the help

Top Bottom