gold dust in my rear

catchy thread title? I have what looks like gold dust in my rear dif fluid, anyone know what it could be? Fluid was changed less then 6k miles ago. the fluid its self looks almost like new. all my bearings are good as far as I can tell no whining noises, teeth look fine, havnt done any water crossings. Seems odd. there are no metal shavings anywhere, just the really really fine reflective dust.

There is too much of it to be paint. plus the gears have been in there for over 8 years. I'm not to concerned I just have never noticed it in direct sun light before.

metaldemon

I just changed the diff & trans fluids in my 12 JK at 9000 miles. The diffs look the same as yours, as did the trans. Drain plug magnets had metal dust. The trans magnet had a few flakes.
I just washed the diffs out with brake clean, and installed lube locker gaskets. Just normal break in wear as far as I can see.
Gonna change the transfer tomorrow.

Bacon

as a fan of old-school 90's-era WWF wrestling, the thread title gave me a completely different image...

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Any brass parts in there? The only thing I can think of is a brass bearing or something is getting shaved, leaving behind "gold" dust, but it's just a guess.

I dont see anything brass in there. maybe its a bearing race or something. if something goes bang this summer ill update the thread and find the culprit.

metaldemon

Sounds like normal wear, although my neighbors WJ Dana 35 wore badly. You could almost shave with the spider gear teeth. It was only a 35 though.
I have had my differential on my XJ open several times to install LSD, and fluid changes. It almost always has some metal dust in it.
My JK is still new, and breaking in. I normally change my fluids, and Antifreeze once a year (10-15 thousand).

Top Bottom