Random Ding (aka Chime)

I did a search here didn't find a thread I could add to, so....hope this helps others.

We've owned our 08 JKU since new, almost 5 years, and 104,000KM later, never once had the 'JK Random Ding'. I read on other forums this does happen.

I started to notice the key fob remote didn't always lock/unlock on first press, some times it took 2 tries, or I would place the key fob on my chin to act as a antenna. (it works in a parking lots too) This went on for a few weeks, then, I got my first random Ding...no reason, no warnng light, all normal!!??

Then a few days later a few days on my drive to work my security LED flashed real quick, like if you were not checking your speed you would never see it. All was well no issues wih the way the Jeep drove.

Got the same issue the very next day, almost the same point in my drive in.

Decided to replace the battery in my key fob. There's only one, and it was $6.00.

The performance of the key fob is much better, and it's been 2 months since I changed it....random ding is gone. ( I waited a while before I calimed it was gone :yup:)

Before I installed the new battery I took a volt meter and measured the new vs. the old. The old was ~0.15 Volts less (under no load) then the new.

My conclusion is when a battery gets old and looses voltage (doesn't take much) you will have decreased key fob performance, and, since this battery has to keep the security features alive, it may effect how it works. (There is volitial RAM in the key fob to roll the codes and ID ect...)...I wonder if it's a built in feature to tell you change the battery :crazyeyes:

For $6.00 bucks, and a few minutes of your time, it may fix this for others....good luck.

kleinrider

I need to do this with my key fobs as I've never replaced them, so they're long overdue (it's an '07). Thanks for the heads up!

Top Bottom