Lift Kit

tkuntz

I know this has probably been mentioned on here before, but I am looking to get a 3.5"-4" lift kit. Not a body lift. However my budget is pretty low. I would like to stay around $500 but would consider going up to $750. I am planning on running 35x12.50 on a 17" wheel. Currently I just have a small 2.5" budget boost from Rough Country. I like it, but I am still runnng stock wheels and tires. Any suggestions and input would be helpful. I was looking at both the Rough Country 3.5" and the Rough Country 4" lift kits. Also looking at Skyjacker and Rusty's Offroad lift kits. What has anyone else run and the pros/cons. Also, what wheels and tires should I go with? I prefer mud-terrain tires. Thank you.

Serg5000

With those inexpensive lifts you get what you pay for. The shocks suck. The springs will sag. I currently have a RC lift. It has been ok but like I said. You get what you pay for.

RDE2ROK

lift kits

We have a few guys around here with Skyjacker and they are not happy with them. I have had problems with Rough Country but that was for a CJ (Bad leaf springs) And a friend of mine with a YJ (bad leaf springs).I'm not trying to slam these companies just what ive seen and heard. Like the other guy said, you get what you pay for. It might be worth saving up and get a good kit or you will just be wasting your money when you have to replace a bad kit.

Robar

The Enforcer
You might consider the Full Traction Economy lift or an Old Man Emu, both are good lifts.

tkuntz

You might consider the Full Traction Economy lift or an Old Man Emu, both are good lifts.

Thanks for the input. I really like Full Traction and it seems like they make quality parts. However, what shocks would you recommend? And this may sound like a "newbie" question, but what purpose does a pitman arm serve and would I NEED one? Also, are there any other components that I would nned with the Full Traction lift?

Robar

The Enforcer
With a 3 to 3.5" lift you should not need a drop pitman arm. A drop pitman arm helps level out the steering geometry and helps prevent bump steer. From what I hear Blisteen 5100 are good shocks for the money and are probably what I will go with when I get to that point.

Buddy22

From experience I have the skyjacker short arm lift kit. You get decent flex out of it and not a bad price. It depends on what you want to do with this lift kit. Are you wanting to hit some trails then no I would save up to buy a long arm. See I am in that spot right now. I wanted a lift kit so bad and ran out a bought the skyjacker just to lift my JK and now saving up my money just to go and buy my long arm system that I wish I would of waited to get instead of buying the one I have now. I would realy think about it before you do it.
I know this has probably been mentioned on here before, but I am looking to get a 3.5"-4" lift kit. Not a body lift. However my budget is pretty low. I would like to stay around $500 but would consider going up to $750. I am planning on running 35x12.50 on a 17" wheel. Currently I just have a small 2.5" budget boost from Rough Country. I like it, but I am still runnng stock wheels and tires. Any suggestions and input would be helpful. I was looking at both the Rough Country 3.5" and the Rough Country 4" lift kits. Also looking at Skyjacker and Rusty's Offroad lift kits. What has anyone else run and the pros/cons. Also, what wheels and tires should I go with? I prefer mud-terrain tires. Thank you.

tkuntz

With a 3 to 3.5" lift you should not need a drop pitman arm. A drop pitman arm helps level out the steering geometry and helps prevent bump steer. From what I hear Blisteen 5100 are good shocks for the money and are probably what I will go with when I get to that point.

Will I need longer shocks right away or would the stock shocks be long enough for a 3" lift? Just so I can save some more money, cause I will probably end up going with the 3" Full Traction Economy lift.

tkuntz

Does anyone have pictures of your 2-door JK with a 3" lift (preferrably Full Traction Economy lift) with 35" tires? I would like to get a look at how much clearance I am going to have. Thanks.

Robar

The Enforcer
Will I need longer shocks right away or would the stock shocks be long enough for a 3" lift? Just so I can save some more money, cause I will probably end up going with the 3" Full Traction Economy lift.
You will want to get new shocks. I like the Economy kit, because it's the basic, what you need, and you can later add control arms or other things as you save up or want.

RDE2ROK

lift

Does anyone have pictures of your 2-door JK with a 3" lift (preferrably Full Traction Economy lift) with 35" tires? I would like to get a look at how much clearance I am going to have. Thanks.

Here is a pic of my old lift. It's a TeraFlex 3" 35" tires. I used Rancho 5000 shocks which I was real happy with.A 3" lift w/35" tires is a good overall combo. It raises a 2dr a lot.
100_3185.jpg 100_3189.jpg

tkuntz

Here is a pic of my old lift. It's a TeraFlex 3" 35" tires. I used Rancho 5000 shocks which I was real happy with.A 3" lift w/35" tires is a good overall combo. It raises a 2dr a lot.
View attachment 1172 View attachment 1173

That's a nice looking Jeep. Did you have to get wheel spacers? I don't know how wheel offset and backspacing works. Most of the lifts that I have been looking at say to get whels with 4.5"-4.75" of backspacing.

RDE2ROK

That's a nice looking Jeep. Did you have to get wheel spacers? I don't know how wheel offset and backspacing works. Most of the lifts that I have been looking at say to get whels with 4.5"-4.75" of backspacing.
I think those had a backspacing of 4.5". I had no issues of rubbing and that lift flexed realy good.The only drawback is the wheels were 18" and didnt leave much sidewall for airing down.

Also, what tires are those with what wheels?

Those tires were the old style BFG Mud terrain and honestly I cant remember the brand of wheels.

tkuntz

I think those had a backspacing of 4.5". I had no issues of rubbing and that lift flexed realy good.The only drawback is the wheels were 18" and didnt leave much sidewall for airing down.

I would be looking to get 17" wheels but I'm not sure what tires I want to go with yet. All sizes are 35x12.50R17.
The tires that I am looking at are,
Nitto Trail Grappler
Mickey Thompson MTZ
Toyo Open Country MT
BFG TA KM2

The wheels that I was looking at are,
Pro Comp Series 7036 Alloy Wheel
Pro Comp Series 7028 Alloy Wheel
Mickey Thompson Classic II in Black
Mickey Thompson Sidebiter Wheel
I am not sure how wide of a wheel I should go with. All the ones that are listed are 17x9.

RDE2ROK

I would be looking to get 17" wheels but I'm not sure what tires I want to go with yet. All sizes are 35x12.50R17.
The tires that I am looking at are,
Nitto Trail Grappler
Mickey Thompson MTZ
Toyo Open Country MT
BFG TA KM2

The wheels that I was looking at are,
Pro Comp Series 7036 Alloy Wheel
Pro Comp Series 7028 Alloy Wheel
Mickey Thompson Classic II in Black
Mickey Thompson Sidebiter Wheel
I am not sure how wide of a wheel I should go with. All the ones that are listed are 17x9.

It realy depends on what you are going to do with your jeep. All those tires are good, but some are better for different terrain. I have the Toyo's and I like them better than my BFGs, But they are a heavy aggresive tire, for the sharp jagged rocks we crawl on they seem to hold up realy well. Some freinds have the KM2s and they grip realy good, but dont hold up as well. Sidewalls chunk easy and complete knobbies ripp off. Best thing to do is start talking to some local jeepers ,see what they are running for your terrain and ask them about the pros & cons.:idontknow:

tkuntz

It realy depends on what you are going to do with your jeep. All those tires are good, but some are better for different terrain. I have the Toyo's and I like them better than my BFGs, But they are a heavy aggresive tire, for the sharp jagged rocks we crawl on they seem to hold up realy well. Some freinds have the KM2s and they grip realy good, but dont hold up as well. Sidewalls chunk easy and complete knobbies ripp off. Best thing to do is start talking to some local jeepers ,see what they are running for your terrain and ask them about the pros & cons.:idontknow:

Thanks for that information. I want to run a fairly aggressive tire, however my Jeep is also my daily driver. Most of the guys that I run trails with run cheaper tires. Maxxis Buckshot, Wil Country, BFG All-Terrain. Also, most the trails that I run are sand, not very many rocky parts down here in southwest Florida. I wish. But for some reason, I still want a mud terrain tire. lol. I have pretty much decided on a lift (for now anyway), and I am pretty sure I am going to do a 4" lift.

Top Bottom