drag link removal

Gibbo

I'm trying to install a flip drag link kit but I can't get the stock one out. I can break it loose from the steering knuckle, but not the pitman arm end. There's just no room to swing a hammer in there. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out in frustration :doh:

Paws

Rent a tool at your local auto part store. They might have a puller that would work. I've known people to have issues removing that link.

But, what flip kit did you buy? You could just leave it there since in some kits you need that extra link. Just remove the bar from the knuckle end and then unscrew it from the pitman arm link and screw the new one on.

Gibbo

Rent a tool at your local auto part store. They might have a puller that would work. I've known people to have issues removing that link.

But, what flip kit did you buy? You could just leave it there since in some kits you need that extra link. Just remove the bar from the knuckle end and then unscrew it from the pitman arm link and screw the new one on.
I bought a Synergy kit, and the bar is much bigger in dia. than stock, but you have given me an idea, thanks for your input!

Gibbo

Use a "Pickle Fork"

Not a JK, but this is how.

View attachment 21768

That's what a pickle fork is, I've seen it mentioned on this site many times, but didn't know. I tried hammering wedges there, but no good, so I'm thinking of buying a puller and pulling the pitman arm off, and dealing with it on the out side on a bench. Does that sound a good way to go?

Gibbo

That's what a pickle fork is, I've seen it mentioned on this site many times, but didn't know. I tried hammering wedges there, but no good, so I'm thinking of buying a puller and pulling the pitman arm off, and dealing with it on the out side on a bench. Does that sound a good way to go?

But looking at the photo again of pickle fork, that looks like the go, if I can't find one I'll make something sim. Thanks very much!

Skirmish

I didn't have a pickle fork when I did mine, I should have cause I know better and have one now. I used a 12" crescent wrench as a pickle fork and it worked but took a lot more effort. Drench it with penetrating oil, let it sit for a bit, start hammering that fork in and it should come fairly easy. It would probably be harder with the pitman arm removed and sometimes the pitman arm is harder to pull than the TRE.

Paws

I bought a Synergy kit, and the bar is much bigger in dia. than stock, but you have given me an idea, thanks for your input!

On my RK it was much bigger in diameter but it reused the same size drag link ends links as stock.

Hope u got it fixed!

Gibbo

Thanks everyone, new I could count on WOL, always have before. Had to drive it to work, so had to put it all back the way it was. I'll get a pickle fork and have another go at it. Thanks again:thumb:

Top Bottom