Warn Zeon 8, 8,000lbs winch

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Well, Warn and their OUTSTANDING customer service really took care of me. They ship out a Warn 8 Zeon Winch to me. This obviously would be no big deal if I was in the US, but i am stationed overseas in Germany. No one else would ship one to me because of the 70lb weight limit on mail shipped through the USPS system. I called Warn and they shipped it to me in two boxes at no charge. The main part of the winch was exactly 70lbs, and second box was about 50lbs.

My question is this winch should be suffice for a JKU right, I understand a 10,000lb winch is recommended.

My second question is - is the Zeon winches themselves rated at 8,000Lbs or is the cable rated at 8,000lbs.

The reason I am asking is because the differences in price between the winches is a 100 dollars, which is about the difference between the different rated cables.

Thanks for all the input in advance!

rtguy1

Well, Warn and their OUTSTANDING customer service really took care of me. They ship out a Warn 8 Zeon Winch to me. This obviously would be no big deal if I was in the US, but i am stationed overseas in Germany. No one else would ship one to me because of the 70lb weight limit on mail shipped through the USPS system. I called Warn and they shipped it to me in two boxes at no charge. The main part of the winch was exactly 70lbs, and second box was about 50lbs.

My question is this winch should be suffice for a JKU right, I understand a 10,000lb winch is recommended.

My second question is - is the Zeon winches themselves rated at 8,000Lbs or is the cable rated at 8,000lbs.

The reason I am asking is because the differences in price between the winches is a 100 dollars, which is about the difference between the different rated cables.

Thanks for all the input in advance!

Sounds a little late for this now:cheesy: it should be okay if your jku is not a pig. But I do have a 10s Zeon on my 2door. I went to the larger size since it wasn't much more money, the winch is still the same size anyway. It just has a bit different gearing in it. I figured the 10s would be overkill for my 2door but would be nice to have in case I need to assist any unfortunate souls on the trail who may have their school buses stuck. :bleh:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
The general rule is having a winch that can pull twice the weight if your Jeep (load). Typically 9500-10000 would do the job for a JKU as they weigh more than a JK.

rtguy1

Yes.....take the curb weight and double it, or take the gvw(gross vehicle weight) and add 50%.

Curb weight for a stock jku rubicon is listed at 4521lbs, with gross vehicle weight being 5448lbs.
Keep in mind mods add some weight depending on what you put on and take off. The 8000lb Zeon will do the job, a 10000 would have been the better choice. The first method puts you at 9042lbs, while the second yields 8172lbs. Remember you can always use pulleys or a snatch block if you are somehow stuck so bad it can't pull you free. This will double the pulling power. I doubt that will ever happen.....

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I appreciate all the feedback. I would have gone with the 10,000lbs winch, but shipping to an APO, AE address really posed a problem due to weight. As with everything I want for my Jeep. I am at the mercy of a 70lb weight restriction and size of the item. Then there is shipping fees, I hardly buy anything from Quadratec their shipping rates for APO AE addresses are ridicoulous. I usually use 4wd or Morris4x4, I can get the same item for about the same price if not cheaper at 1/3 the shipping rate. I also use Amazon, they have great prices and shipping rates.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that this winch would be suffice until I get back to the states. May 8th to the 12 I will be attending the 18th Annual European Jeepers Jamboree, Bestop has been so kind and paid my registration fees and gave me a personal invite. Here is the link if anyone is interested, www.europeanjeepersjamboree.com. It is being held in St. George's, France.

I have been stationed overseas for the last 14 years of my 21 years of Military service. Just three more years to go and then I retire, maybe.

Well thank you again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom