oil leaking from driver side axle housing

zaid7

hi guys i have a RHD 2008 jku i am currently noticing alot of oil dripping out of drivers side axel tube and pooling in the nukel does anyone no what this could be ??

StrizzyChris

sounds like and axle seal leaking. Depending on how fast/much its leaking you will eventually need to get it repaired

mn jk jeeper

yep that would be the axle seal leaking
be sure to check and top off the diff fluid before driving it and keep an eye on the level till you can get it fix or it will
result in major damage if you don't keep the fluid full

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you have a seal leak. As the rule goes, if oil can get out, water can get in. So long as you're not planning to do any water crossings, you should be okay like this for a while but, you should get this fixed.

zaid7

thanks very much guys atm im not doing any wheeling just mall crawling. it leak a fairbit only when its parked on a slope tho but its enough to upset me. in saying that would it be wise to replace the seal on the other side aswell?

mn jk jeeper

yes you need to do them both
since you need to remove both axle shafts and the diff assy to get to them
if you need a little guidance let me know I just did mine so its fresh in my head
if I was close to you I would come over and help
but can guide you through the process if needed

zaid7

ahh ok thanks yeah i think im going to have to some guidance and maybe frend who no some some stuff. pitty i live in australia lol other wise id take you up on your offer

Philip *AZ*

Banned
This may help. Im not sure if it will or not , just trying to help you out..

Weeping or Leaking Jeep Axle Seal - Jp Magazine
www.jpmagazine.com/.../axletech/...jeep_ ...We take look into what it takes to replace a worn or leaky axle seal on your Jeep, only in Jp Magazine!

Im using my phone and cant get the full hyperlik, just throw that in a google search. You will find it.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

Last edited:

mn jk jeeper

if ya need some help pm I think its on here a couple of times by me
I should have done a full how too with pics
(kicks self in nuts) lol but has it too much of hurry to get done so I could go to work the next day
:doh:

Top Bottom