DRAG Link flip kit

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The AEV kit is a lot like the EVO kit and of the two, I would recommend it. The TeraFlex kit requires you to install a track bar drop bracket from the frame instead of the axle and that spreads the track bar and drag link further apart. This will cause you to have sub-standard handling and bump steer issues.

aaronstephen

The AEV kit is a lot like the EVO kit and of the two, I would recommend it. The TeraFlex kit requires you to install a track bar drop bracket from the frame instead of the axle and that spreads the track bar and drag link further apart. This will cause you to have sub-standard handling and bump steer issues.

What would you recommend between aev and evo?

Sent from my wayalife app

aaronstephen

They're both about the same only EVO is a bit cheaper. Also, I like to support EVO as they work hard to inovate and make products Jeepers really need.

Do you think it's cheaper because it doesn't provide a new steering stabilizer?

And is a new SS really needed with only 34's?

Sent from my wayalife app

aaronstephen

Ok, so I finally bought the EVO drag link flip kit and installed it over the weekend.

NO difference in ride quality at all. Kinda pissed I just waisted $300.

Just an FYI for those thinking of purchasing this item.

Before getting this flip kit I had read ALOT about how it was a must to have on over 3" of lift. I also read that some don't bother and have no issues. In fact the guys over at metalCloak don't run them on their rigs setup with their suspension kits lifted at 3.5 inches.

Looks like this is coming off and will be returned, so I can use that $$ on a different mod.

Sent from my iPhone

rtguy1

Ok, so I finally bought the EVO drag link flip kit and installed it over the weekend.

Before getting this flip kit I had read ALOT about how it was a must to have on over 3" of lift. I also read that some don't bother and have no issues. In fact the guys over at metalCloak don't run them on their rigs setup with their suspension kits lifted at 3.5 inches.

Looks like this is coming off and will be returned, so I can use that $$ on a different mod.

Sent from my iPhone

didnt you already drill the knuckle out? how you gonna return it? my steering is awesome with the flip kit:idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Sent from my iPhone

Maybe I missed something but, I don't ever recall you saying that you were having issues or that you were trying to fix the way your Jeep handles. I realize that you do ALOT of reading but maybe you should spend more of your time asking some important questions before you spend money on things you personally may not feel the need for like, "do I really need this?"

For the record, I have NEVER said that a drag link flip was a "must have" on a Jeep with over 3" of lift - what I have said and will continue to say is that it is a better way to re-center your axle as it will also be one that will correct your steering geometry. There is a reason why your track bar and drag link are designed to be parallel to each other and almost parallel to the axle as well. Just because one company who's brand new to the market doesn't seem to think it's necessary to address suspension geometry doesn't mean they know what they're doing. Just an FYI for those thinking of purchasing this item.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
didnt you already drill the knuckle out? how you gonna return it? my steering is awesome with the flip kit:idontknow:

In all fairness, for the most part, you shouldn't even really notice a difference. Where you will notice it is in your handling and in sudden maneuvers due to it's improved roll center. Your steering geometry will essentially be like or be much closer to stock again and in my opinion, to have corrected geometry is worth every penny. Same can be said about long arms but, I'm sure some of the newer companies out there will tell you they're a waste of money too.

aaronstephen

I wasn't upset at any advice I have received from here or anywhere else in regarding the need to install a flip kit. And you are right I probably should've asked if I really needed to install this kit since I haven't been experiencing any steering or handling issues.

I guess my intent was to bring another side to this discussion. That some may need this kit and some may not. My frustration is that after all my work in installing this kit I was hoping for some BIG improvement. Maybe my expectations were a bit off.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't upset at any advice I have received from here or anywhere else in regarding the need to install a flip kit. And you are right I probably should've asked if I really needed to install this kit since I haven't been experiencing any steering or handling issues.

...My frustration is that after all my work in installing this kit I was hoping for some BIG improvement. Maybe my expectations were a bit off.

I'm not sure how you could of had any expectations let alone hopes of "BIG improvements" if you "haven't been experiencing any steering or handling issues" to begin with.

I guess my intent was to bring another side to this discussion. That some may need this kit and some may not.

And allow me to bring another side to this discussion and say that while some people may not "need" this kit, EVERYONE with 3" of lift or more can definitely benefit from it even if they don't see "BIG improvements" from it in their daily driving. Fact of the matter is, it will correct your steering geometry and that is a good thing.

arron, if there was no initial steering issue to begin with, there would be no way for you to feel any real steering improvements! What the flip kit (anyones) is gonna do is simply correct your steering components geometry to get them closer to stock and how they were designed. This is going to help prevent future steering issues. I would leave it on!

andrew -

aaronstephen

I'm not sure how you could of had any expectations let alone hopes of "BIG improvements" if you "haven't been experiencing any steering or handling issues" to begin with.

And allow me to bring another side to this discussion and say that while some people may not "need" this kit, EVERYONE with 3" of lift or more can definitely benefit from it even if they don't see "BIG improvements" from it in their daily driving. Fact of the matter is, it will correct your steering geometry and that is a good thing.

Yes, it "may" bring some improvement to handling and steering. But, my issue is that it has been communicated on this forum that it is a "must" install, when that may not always be the case.

I'm not saying that you, Eddie, said this...

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Sent from my iPhone

Metal clock must have magical coils to fix the steering at the same time. Sure they don't need it. They would benefit from it. I did not run it for awhile with my coilovers.

You can run the flip on a 3" kit. You just need to have the proper bump stops to stop flip bracket from hitting the frame at full bump

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it "may" bring some improvement to handling and steering.

Believe what you will but there is no "may" about it. If you were to drive 2 different Jeeps that were setup the same only one with correct steering geometry and one without and take them through situations that required fast hard steering, you would definitely see/feel the difference.

But, my issue is that it has been communicated on this forum that it is a "must" install, when that may not always be the case.

"Must" is a term that is often over used on all forums including this one. That is the reason why I try hard to limit the use of it. What I can tell you is that with 3" of lift or more, I would highly recommend that you do something to help re-center your axle. Is it a "must" to do that? No. So long as you aren't seeing any problems with rubbing at a full turn/flex, you can definitely drive around with your front axle off center. At 3" of lift or more, I would also recommend that you correct your steering geometry as well and if there is a "must" here, it's that BOTH your track bar and drag link need remain parallel to each other - the best way to do this is through the installation of something like the EVO kit. Just because you didn't see a "BIG improvement" doesn't mean that your steering geometry isn't better or that you wouldn't benefit from it when it's really needed. Certainly, I doubt that you saw a BIG difference let alone any after you installed your RCX Diff Guards - why not remove and return them so that you could use that $$ on a different mod? Just trying to put things into perspective.

I'm not saying that you, Eddie, said this...

It's all good, not saying that you did.

aaronstephen

Believe what you will but there is no "may" about it. If you were to drive 2 different Jeeps that were setup the same only one with correct steering geometry and one without and take them through situations that required fast hard steering, you would definitely see/feel the difference.

"Must" is a term that is often over used on all forums including this one. That is the reason why I try hard to limit the use of it. What I can tell you is that with 3" of lift or more, I would highly recommend that you do something to help re-center your axle. Is it a "must" to do that? No. So long as you aren't seeing any problems with rubbing at a full turn/flex, you can definitely drive around with your front axle off center. At 3" of lift or more, I would also recommend that you correct your steering geometry as well and if there is a "must" here, it's that BOTH your track bar and drag link need remain parallel to each other - the best way to do this is through the installation of something like the EVO kit. Just because you didn't see a "BIG improvement" doesn't mean that your steering geometry isn't better or that you wouldn't benefit from it when it's really needed. Certainly, I doubt that you saw a BIG difference let alone any after you installed your RCX Diff Guards - why not remove and return them so that you could use that $$ on a different mod? Just trying to put things into perspective.

It's all good, not saying that you did.

The point about my diff guards made me laugh a little. Touché

I have recentered my axles with adjustable Trac bars. That and adjustable control arms have made a huge difference in handling on my jeep.

aaronstephen

Metal clock must have magical coils to fix the steering at the same time. Sure they don't need it. They would benefit from it. I did not run it for awhile with my coilovers.

You can run the flip on a 3" kit. You just need to have the proper bump stops to stop flip bracket from hitting the frame at full bump

I think they are magical 😉

Top Bottom