Long distance road trip advice

Planning a road trip this summer should be around 2,500km each way. Nice and wide Trans Canada highway not too many hills early summer time frame.

08 JKU with 110,000 Kms, auto, 3:73, soft top, and by then 33 x 11.5 MT ATZ with a TF levelling kit.

3 adults one pre-teen.

Anyone done a similar trip have any advice? What to bring? Level of comfort for all? Suggested mods or up grades to make the trip more comfy?

We have another vehicle that we could take.... But the Jeep would be more fun.... Just not sure if the family will be happy and the end of the day after 12hrs in the Jeep. The soft top will be on and only AC if its humid. I have heard some day long trips kill your back?

Ah no longer have roadside or power train warranty. Jeep runs awesome.

I'm thinking at the very least:

-mopar auto Trans cooler
-mesh bikini top
-cooler for treats
-tools, extra fluids (for the jeep)
-recovery gear (for the Atlantic beach)

Any advice suggestions are most welcomed

Thanks

dahoover5866

I know u have a four door but I suggest a roof rack, I take a lot of trips up to the mountains four people loaded up and gear, food, and other supplies and it gets cramped in a hurry. There are a lot of good systems out the and I think it would make it better for ur passengers, maybe not u so much lol

jelliott076

Adam is right, you need to look into AAA. It's the best investment I've made for the cars. I think it's $70/year and they'll tow you 50miles for free and in some areas 100miles.

Now would be a perfect time for that ARB Refridgerator, but the cooler will have to work. Three adults and a pre-teen?! Where are you storing all of the luggage? and do you have an AC/DC Power inverter ($25 at Radioshack) so the kid can plug in a gameboy or something of the like?

Sounds like an adventure for sure!

seanb123

not sure if you have one but maybe get a tuner. your tires aren't to big but still bigger than stock and that will help with shift points and take stress on the trans. Also I know some tuners such as the superchips come with a fuel economy tune something to think about.

MTNBKR

Been pretty close to that KM in my jeep. Change the oil just prior to rollin and do a good inspection of you rig each time you get out to make sure all is still sound and in good working order. Only tales a couple minutes to get it done. Also consider a "hang on your headrest stlye DVD player for your pre teen..
Enjoy your trip...

Thanks everyone some great tips here...I've started a list (admit it in Excell)

AAA or CAA in Canada is a great point had not thought of that one at all....not that it will be bad luck.... Just in case.

Think I will add RR hood latch upgrade and a spare serpentine belt to my kit, and I will be getting a ProCal with my new wheels.

Cheers

Clark Collins

Airlift for JK

If you are planning to load a lot of luggage in the back and on the rack I would suggest you think about adding Air-lift 1000 airbags (about $100) to the back. Before the airbags my jeep was almost dead axle with a load on the RR and in the back. With the airbags you can adjust to compensate for whatever load you are carrying. Did a almost 2000 mile round trip with 4 adults and luggage with the Air-lift and it was great. I'm glad I didn't have to ride in the back seat much though. Not good for 6 footers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom