Custom made rock sliders

FrankenJeeper

Has anyone made/fabricated their own rock sliders for their JK?

I am wanting to make a set for my JKU, and I am trying to figure out the best way to attach them to the jeep. I am considering a weld on design, like EVO's sliders, but I would like to see what other options I have before I build them.

I would also like to ask for pictures/ideas of where everyone's sliders mount to.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Skirmish

Welded mine on. The tricky part is the tub is wider in back than the front. You need to make the rear braces a little longer.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364870312.456349.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364870327.834062.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364870348.833425.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364870362.008675.jpg

Skirmish

Thanks, haven't gotten a pic of the weld yet, hard shot to take since its all black and dark. It is different on a JKU. I would see if someone can get a pic from a 4 door. Usually they have three braces each side. There are holes and gussets off the frame to avoid but if you look at yours you should be able to see good mounting points. Mine are just inside of the body bolt mounts.

Skirmish

Probably around $160 in steel. Mostly just like 20' of 2" tube. Other than that it just a couple pieces of 3/16" for a place to weld it to the frame.

Rebel JK

These look great. Exactly what im looking to build. I was considering 2" square for below rocker with.1-1/2" round for the angled up rail. Did you use DOM? What guage tube did you use? Just picked up my tubeing notcher and ready to go once i finalize the plan.

Skirmish

.134 is pretty heavy too but I have already dented them. Depends on how rough you run. A smaller OD would probably hold up better with a thinner wall though.

I started with TIG but finished with MIG. It is a lot of welding and hard angles to get into. I'm not the greatest with TIG yet so wire feed is my crutch.

Rebel JK

.134 is pretty heavy too but I have already dented them. Depends on how rough you run. A smaller OD would probably hold up better with a thinner wall though.

I started with TIG but finished with MIG. It is a lot of welding and hard angles to get into. I'm not the greatest with TIG yet so wire feed is my crutch.

I'm re thinking now... Maybe go 1-3/4 od round tube for everything at .125 or maybe .134 wall. I have access to a tig machine but haven't done it before. I will probably go with my humble little Lincoln mig unit. I plan on running it pretty hard a few times a year.
For mine I'm thinking of incorporating rear corner exo tube as added corner armor, with maybe bolt connect to sliders and rear bumper.

Skirmish

2" is pretty bulky and leaves a lot of surface exposed to dent. I'm not worried about them bending though. 4500 lbs against solid rock is going to take its toll so something's got to give. The dents I got are pretty small impact hits then it slides off the rock without anything but scratches.

I had bolt ons for about a year and they have more give so they didn't dent but the body bolts got bent.

Rebel JK

After feedback from some of the guys on here when I asked on another thread, I agree weld on is the way to go. I'm not worried about a little rock rash for sure.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
For sure! They turned out really good. Nice job

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

Top Bottom