noob questions before getting a jku. how does this parts list look?

romz26

Hi guys newb here!

Been thinking about getting a jku for the past year. So far its been a jkur vs jkus, with the way I want to mod my future jku, the sport w/hardtop seemed like a good fit. After watching many wayalife videos, it seems like a lot of fun, and I want another vehicle something different then what Iam used to. Also my coworkers go wheeling at least once a month. My off roading experience is from dirtbiking and “desert running” in a friends tacoma. My goal for this Jeep would be a do it all master of none type of vehicle.

Also, what trans? I know many of you would say if you have to ask, just go with the auto. My cars have all been manual transmissions. Even took the driving test(10 years ago) with my dads 86 325e. To this day we still have not replaced the clutch in it. The only thing I m hesitant about getting the manual transmission in the jeep, I have never driven a big vehicle with a manual transmission. Well least year when my family visited the Philippines, got to drive my uncles Nissan Patrol. I did have lots of fun driving that SUV. Anyone have a opinion about this?

The mods I want to do(most likely right when I get the jeep) would be:
poly weld in cage. (for saftey)
Dynatrac pro rock44 with arb locker for the front.(replace the d30, for durability)
ARB locker for the rear, plus reinforcement (since the rear is a dana44).
Evo Front and rear double throwdown system (do these come with shocks? Will this be all I need to start out?).
Jk draglink flip kit.
Possible TF quick disconnects.
Tuffy products for the glove box, center console, and rear.
Possibly the EVO ¼ pounder front jk bumper or the lod shorty front with stinger.
And LOD shorty rear w/tire carrier.

Things I am on the roof on(things I know Ill need but don’t know what/were to look.):
Tires want 37 for the look but 35 would be fine.
Rims (have no clue on were to look)
What oba system: viair kit with 2gal tank, or the arb twin with viair 2gal tank(is this possible?)
Place to mount air tank.
Will I need new drive shafts?
What gearing would I need? 4.8 or 4.5(this will be my every other day DD)?

Things I would beable hold off on:
lights
spod (or one of the alternatives that are a better price.)
dbl battery
other accs.
Tx case upgrade or rubicrawler?

Iam not particularly handy with anything other then hand tools. So iam hoping to get everything done at Off Road evolution(its really close by to my house. Like 5min close) I plan on buying my jku closer to the end of the year. Currently I am in the research phase, going through options. So I know how much ill need for the mods I know I want. What do you guys think?

You might be thinking I just picked the most expensive things to go in my list, but I think this set up will be a good all round rig that has good safety, on road manners, off road flex and speed (no I wont be doing 30 on the trials, the speed is more for desert running.)

Or will starting with a rubi be a better choice as a base. It has elockers (how would these compare to the arb lockers?), dana44's all round (when braced/reinforced would these be okay to use instead of getting the dynatrac? What would it cost to reinforce the stock 44's), disconnects(not terribly expensive), 17” rims, and tx case. With the rubi I can go with the cage, dtd, bumpers, flip kit, wheel spacers(might not need these with stock rims?), tires, and probably a onboard air compressor. Would this possibly be a cheaper route(figure the dynatrac cost about 4-5k complete depending on what goes into it, would still need to get a rear locker and reinforce the rear axle, and a oba system)?

Thanks for reading
romz26

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
If you plan on putting a dynatrac PR44 in it immediately you may just want to go with the sport and use the savings for your mods. A JKUR is going to have 44 with lockers front and rear. Honestly I guess it just depends on your cash on hand. :twocents:

TheDuff

The rubi has other advantage's than the lockers: sway bar disconnect, xfer case, cool hood decal:p but it u plan on changing out the xfer case, don't mind annoying manual sway bar disco's (or can afford something better) and are gonna go arb lockers anyways, then buy the sport. For gearing if u buy 07-11 go 5.13, for 2012-3013 4.88 or 5.13.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Another thing to add on top of what these guys said. If you live so close to EVO, take a trip over and chat with those guys. I wish I was close to a shop like that. Im sure they wouldnt mind talkin to you about a build idea, they seem like a great crew. There is a bunch of knowledge there for you to listen to.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

romz26

Another thing to add on top of what these guys said. If you live so close to EVO, take a trip over and chat with those guys. I wish I was close to a shop like that. Im sure they wouldnt mind talkin to you about a build idea, they seem like a great crew. There is a bunch of knowledge there for you to listen to.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

That's what I plan on doing when I have some time off from work. Would hate to go there and waste there time when I haven't picked out a jeep yet.

StrizzyChris

That's what I plan on doing when I have some time off from work. Would hate to go there and waste there time when I haven't picked out a jeep yet.

They are businessmen! I talked their legs off at suds and grubs, in their shop and through emails over the past 3 years. By them being professional, and not expecting me to pull out my wallet every time i step in there, they have received thousands of my hard earned dollars. I have almost always talked to Mel, but never received pressure to buy and walked out without purchase while receiving a wave and smile on my next entrance. I really dont think its a business tactic, and he seems to really only care about the industry. He knows his products speak for and sell themselves! Stop by and they'll give you a tour of the shop! :thumb:

seanb123

yeah I agree with the guy who said talk to off road evo. Why ask a forum when you got the top notch info 5 min away. Im sure a lot of us are jealous we can't just go ask them about info

Top Bottom