DIY $4.23 Vacuum Relocation

StrizzyChris

Total Parts list from Ace Hardware
2- 1.25" x 2" angled truss clips @ $0.79 each
2- 3/8" fender washers @ $0.25 each
1- 3/8" Hex bolt @ $0.45
1- 3/8" nut @ $0.12
2- 3/8" lock washers @ $0.20
1- bag of #24 1.25" bolts and nuts @ $1.18 (only used 2)
Total Cost = $4.23

First I measured and marked (2) 1.25"x2" angled truss clips for drilling and bending

2.jpg

Drilled a 3/8 hole in the clip for mounting a hex-bolt through

3.jpg

5.jpg

I used the preexisting frame hole to mount it. This is the hole just below the front body mount. On both sides I used a 3/8" fender washer and lock washer as well as the 3/8" bolt and nut

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

I then used a table vice to clamp and bend the second truss clip to clear the winch in the front, then to bend up and over the mount for the old swaybar guard/lower air dam mount. I bent this tightly as to "clamp down" and secure itself on install. I had to use a hammer to tap it down onto the frame bracket.

8.jpg

6.jpg

Once the two brackets were installed I mounted the Vacuum to the tabs using size #24 1.25" bolts and nuts. Trust me, you will want to do this before you install your winch. The tolerances are a complete PITA and you have to be a contortionist to place the nuts in the screws.

This is the front mount
c0cd5b26-9fda-41a1-a074-6b9d627379e8.jpg

The back mount
14.jpg

StrizzyChris

Great job Strizzy! I like the Ninja bends you made in that bracket. 

Thanks! I actually had fabricated a one piece bracket(out of cardboard) similar to the factorry one that wraps around the back. It looked and fit pretty well after 3 attempts and modifications, but didnt have a scroll saw to cut it out of steel with. I think ill still do it, but this will hold me off for a little while until i can.

PATHOO

why you didnt relocated it Under the Hood?? all you need is 2x 5feet of wiring plus metal flar bar with two hole for bracket

StrizzyChris

why you didnt relocated it Under the Hood?? all you need is 2x 5feet of wiring plus metal flar bar with two hole for bracket

I had actually considered it after seeing kits like that from Teraflex and a couple other companies(price around $100). The only problem is the MUCH needed real-estate that it takes up in the engine compartment that is tremendously limited already with the 3.6L. I plan to use that little spot for my onboard air compressor location(which is a much later mod). But for the couple bucks invested, and super easy DIY install, this mod is a keeper :yup:

Marauder

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1372900731.842348.jpg $.60 relocation. I just cut off the existing bolts, moved the vacuum to the bottom of the existing bracket, turned it clockwise to another existing hole and rebolted using a couple screws and nuts matching the cut off hardware. It's all that was needed to clear my winch plate. (OR Fab)

Nice creativity Chris!

StrizzyChris

I actually think you can do similar with the EVO bumper as well, except I didn't have any small bolts when I did my initial bumper install.

Marauder

I had to figure something else out because I wasnt gonna alter my wiring. Its a derivation of something I saw on another forum. Far less creative than yours but it worked for my bumper set up.

Desert Crawler

Excellent example of creative thinking. I went with the free option by cutting off the oem bracket, moving it 1/2 an inch and welding it back on.

Top Bottom