A/C Compressor cycling on and off

Boomer

Hello all. I purchased a 2008 Unlimited X with 60K on the clock about 2 months ago. I have enjoyed it so far until I went to activate the A/C for really the first time since I've had it. I noticed on our way back from Dallas that the A/C would be frigid, then would turn to cool about every 7-8 seconds or so. I pulled into the garage and popped the hood to see the compressor cycling on and off. I then started researching online as to what it could be. I started with purchasing a set of A/C manifold gauges to monitor the high and low side pressures.

Please take a look at the video to see what its doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq7p61Sx8Jc

Ambient temp was 71 degrees at the time. I know what the pressures should be at this given temp but the high side seems to be way too high (350psi+) and both high and low side pressures are all over the place when the compressor is on instead of a stable pressure for a "normal" functioning system from what I have read. When the system is off, the pressures equalize to about 84psi on both sides. Fan does come on as compressor is engaged as you can hear in the video as well. Any insight would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance and a great site you have here Eddie!

LGPow2006

Dont know about a Jeep AC system... most systems have a filter/dryer someplace in the system... On my old van it was near the rear coils (on my house unit it is in the return line just before the compressor).
If the filter is overly restricting the flow you could see the pressure differences you are describing...

Keep in mind I am an electrician not an HVAC guy so I could be totally off base. I went through a lot of gas before I discovered the filter dryer in my van was plugged up (probably from a previous compressor failure)

good luck

rinkishjk

The system could be over full, or u could have a bad expansion valve which is by the firewall where the ac lines go In.
Something definitely isn't right.
Might be worthwhile to get the system evacuated and vacuumed and refilled.

81SocalCJ

The system could be over full, or u could have a bad expansion valve which is by the firewall where the ac lines go In.
Something definitely isn't right.
Might be worthwhile to get the system evacuated and vacuumed and refilled.

I agree. It sounds like your expansion valve is causing problems. It might have had a compressor go out before you got it and the system wasn't cleaned properly. I'd get the system vacuumed and checked out

Top Bottom