Diff fluid fill help.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hey guys, I bought a set of riddler covers for my JKU in anticipation of my moab trip and had a quick question. Since they moved the fill holes higher up, how much fluid should I put into the diffs (D30 front D44 rear)? Thanks for any help you can give me!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I bought a set of riddler covers for my JKU in anticipation of my moab trip and had a quick question. Since they moved the fill holes higher up, how much fluid should I put into the diffs (D30 front D44 rear)? Thanks for any help you can give me!

You want to fill it up with the same amount of fluid as advised from the factory or, up to the base of the axle tubes. You can make a make-shift dip stick using a zip tie to help you figure what that needs to be. Filling it up to the fill hole will be way too much and you will have a mess on your hands if you do.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You want to fill it up with the same amount of fluid as advised from the factory or, up to the base of the axle tubes. You can make a make-shift dip stick using a zip tie to help you figure what that needs to be. Filling it up to the fill hole will be way too much and you will have a mess on your hands if you do.

So the same capacity as factory would be ok? Someone told me that because the Riddler covers might not have the same internal volume even the OEM amount might be off, but I figured since they still need to clear lockers and such there can't be much of a difference.

As for OEM capacities, which one of these is a D30 open diff and a D44 open diff?

Differential, With 186 FBI Front..........2.1 pints
Differential, With 216 FBI Front..........2.7 pints
Differential, With 226 RBI W/O Rear..........4.6 pints
Differential, With 226 RBI With T Rear..........4.6 pints

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The extra capacity you might get with your new covers isn't enough to really matter. Factory fill specs will get you what you need. If you want to make sure, just check to see if the fluid is up to the base of the axle tubes.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Just read the project-jk tutorial...it mentioned 1.35 front and 2.something rear. Is that for a D30 open front, or it's the same no matter which front you have?

mikefishes

The extra capacity you might get with your new covers isn't enough to really matter. Factory fill specs will get you what you need. If you want to make sure, just check to see if the fluid is up to the base of the axle tubes.

Hey Eddie,

Nice write up on the SOLID differential cover install. I followed it this morning and voila! If you wanna edit the write up at all I would make one suggestion... make "check to see the you replaced the drain plug before starting to re-fill it, dumb-ass..." a step of it's own. :doh:

View attachment 28021 View attachment 28022

Top Bottom