Can't solve ESP

Christarp

So, I have a rubicon express 3.5" superflex lift with 35's and I just can't for the life of me figure out why the ESP will kick on in turns. After everything i've done it's gotten "better" but it still kicks on prematurely for reasons unknown to me.

When I installed the lift I paid careful attention to how many threads I had showing on each side for the upper control arms (the lower control arms aren't adjustable), so the axle really should be straight, then I centered my steering wheel by feel, and it still kicked on, and I figured the last piece of the puzzle was tire size, so I got a procal and set my tire size, and low and behold it still kicks on prematurely (but as stated before, it's better than it was).

So after all of this I decided that it must be a steering wheel centering issue. So I got a laser pointer and a few straight edges and a marker to try and center it as best I could, this is basically the set up I used.

laser_pointer_alignment.png

Then after I had all my measurements taken, I turned on the procal, set it to the steering wheel centering mode, and it turned up already centered. So I turned it off center and re-centered it (It was basically the exact same position on the draglink) until both turn signals illuminated as described in the directions.

The steering wheel is dead on straight, and I'm still having ESP kick on during long bends (eg on-ramps), but not short quick turns. I can fling it around a corner pretty quickly without the ESP kicking in, but as soon as I take a bend at a lazy speed it will just go full retard and kick on, despite not getting anywhere near the feeling of being in danger (such as more body roll than one would like).

At this point I almost just want an ESP kill switch, but I know that one day it could help in an emergency situation..

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Its because you changed the height of the vehicle. The center of gravity is different now. The body roll you get makes the Jeep think its going over. Mine does the same thing. Pisses me off the same too. Im going to do the ESP kill switch mod for around town and wheeling. Long drives it will obviously be turned back on.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

Christarp

Its because you changed the height of the vehicle. The center of gravity is different now. The body roll you get makes the Jeep think its going over. Mine does the same thing. Pisses me off the same too. Im going to do the ESP kill switch mod for around town and wheeling. Long drives it will obviously be turned back on.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

I know someone else who has one lifted to a similar height of mine though, and it almost never goes off, the difference in height between ours is probably less than half an inch.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Hmm. I dont know then. Im runnin a 3.5" on 35's as well.

munstie

I am running the Rubicon Express 3.5 longarm, and had the same issue until I took it to the dealer for an alignment. The only time it has kicked back is when there is a hellacious crosswind.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

CRAZYCASEY

munstie said:
I am running the Rubicon Express 3.5 longarm, and had the same issue until I took it to the dealer for an alignment. The only time it has kicked back is when there is a hellacious crosswind.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Lift height does not effect your esp if every thing is dialed in right. I have only had this happen once and it was an alignment issue, specifically a bent front axle housing. I would make sure your toe is set right and your trac bars are adjusted properly.

Christarp

Could lack of caster set it off? I only have 2 degrees of caster I know that. I forgot to mention I did take it to an alignment shop and except for the caster everything is spot on. The only thing I've adjusted after the alignment was mess with the steering wheel centering (which ended up being pretty much exactly the same as i had it before), the toe in is set properly.

I can't really see how caster could affect ESP, but if it does I'll definitely adjust it, I just don't want to have my driveshaft at a super steep angle, haven't replaced it yet.

Skirmish

Caster should only effect handling. If your wheels don't come back to center by themselves after a corner or you have a flighty feel then you would want more caster. With proper caster the Jeep should want to track straight or close to it.

From what I understand (and I could be wrong) the ESP is turned on as a result of the calculation between individual front wheel speed and the orientation of the steering wheel. Basically if the steering wheel is straight the front wheels should be moving at the same speed. If it is turned the outside wheel should be moving faster than the inside wheel.

If the steering wheel is straight and one wheel is moving faster than the other the computer will apply brakes to attempt to regain stability. Also if your steering wheel is off center and the wheel speed isn't where the computer thinks it should be for the degree of turn the brakes go on.

I've had it happen in strong winds as well but my steering was off a bit at the time too. To counter act the wind I had to turn into it yet the wheels were traveling at close to the same speed confusing the ESP into assuming I was sliding.

It is possible that there are more sensors that effect the ESP like a tilt sensor but as far as I know it is only speed sensors on the front wheels and the position of the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Christarp

Even after my alignment it is still way too sensitive and overreacts to almost everything.

Finally "solved" it with a kill switch ;)

Top Bottom