Clunking sound when steering

simonjk

Caught the Bug
My jeep recently started what I would call clunking on the drivers side front wheel when turning. It only happens when I start the turn then stops. Any idea what it could be. The axle is centered with adj. Track bar and got an alignment a few weeks back. I haven't wheeled it hard since then. It has 3.5" lift and 35s. Please help me figure this out. It sounds awful. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris

sounds like you have enough lift to clear 35's. Is it a couple clunks and it completely goes away?

Did you install wheel spacers? Could be the lugs making contact with your control arms, air dam, etc.

Could be a U-joint going bad, but I would imagine that would be more consistent.

My best guess is to check the torque on your track bar bolts. It could be caused by the axle shifting at the beginning of the turn :thinking:

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Longer control arms not adjustable. No wheel spacers due to correct wheel back spacing. No air dam. The bolts were torqued to correct specs. Consistancy as is it happens every turn but at the start of the turn. Ball joints maybe?

StrizzyChris

Longer control arms not adjustable. No wheel spacers due to correct wheel back spacing. No air dam. The bolts were torqued to correct specs. Consistancy as is it happens every turn but at the start of the turn. Ball joints maybe?

it could be the ball joint. easiest way to check is to jack up the side the sound is coming from and take a pry bar and see if there is play. Shouldnt be much movement at all at the joint.

Did you re-check the torque on the track bar, or was it correct at time of install? I would just recheck the torque to be safe.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
The track bar was correct at first. Checked it again last week. I will try the ball joint and tie rod ends. Anything to look for at the tie rods?

simonjk

Caught the Bug
the ball joint is fine from what i can tell. the noise got considerable louder turning left today. anything else to check or am i stuck with another jeep noise

Tigrcky

Lift up the front one side at a time grab your tire the shake side to side look for play to properly check ball joints leave the axle in the air the with a long bar, stick the bar under the tire and pry up against the tire putting pressure against the tire that will make your ball joints pop if they are bad. Do it to both sides

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

FoxC

Also check your sway bar links or disconnects if you have them. These will loosen up and make a clunking sound with turning or situations like pulling in and out of the driveway.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
When the rain lets up I will check all that. Its so irritsting that its making this noise. Hopefully it will found soon. Thanks for all the input

Nathan_Fox

Check your swaybar links. I had a clunking sound sometimes when i would turn. Found out the bolts need some tightening!

TDogg

My jeep recently started what I would call clunking on the drivers side front wheel when turning. It only happens when I start the turn then stops. Any idea what it could be. The axle is centered with adj. Track bar and got an alignment a few weeks back. I haven't wheeled it hard since then. It has 3.5" lift and 35s. Please help me figure this out. It sounds awful. Thanks.

What a coincidence..I've been having the same issue. The clunk got louder on the 14 hour drive to Moab, and happened not just on turns but whenever I went over any kind of bump in the road. The 12 Sahara is almost completely stock. The sound started a month ago after an easy run. Since then I had switched out my tires for 33's with wheel spacers. All bolts were tightened, sway bar links checked, etc..I'm taking it to the dealership for oil change and to check out a separate squeaking noise, so maybe (just maybe) they will be able to shed some light. I'll let you know if I find anything.

rinkishjk

If u haven't already checked I would check both ends of the drag link and make sure the nuts are tight. Maybe your pitman arm nut is loose?

simonjk

Caught the Bug
I just went over all my bolts the past few hrs. Tightened everything. My lower control arms were a tad bit loose...tight but coukd have been tighter if you know what I mean. The noise has seemed to stop. Maybe a temp. Fix... maybe not. I'm going to the dealership monday for oil change, if it comes back I will let them know. On another not, I seemed to have a little bit of a bent shock mount on the rear. Will this effect anything?

Attachments

• 1365193211477.jpg
    1365193211477.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 92

Markymark420

What a coincidence..I've been having the same issue. The clunk got louder on the 14 hour drive to Moab, and happened not just on turns but whenever I went over any kind of bump in the road. The 12 Sahara is almost completely stock. The sound started a month ago after an easy run. Since then I had switched out my tires for 33's with wheel spacers. All bolts were tightened, sway bar links checked, etc..I'm taking it to the dealership for oil change and to check out a separate squeaking noise, so maybe (just maybe) they will be able to shed some light. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Does it sound like something lightly knocking on the firewall by the pedals? Steering input to steering box? I have had the same noise and have attributed it to that, read up on it a little on the "other" forum. Seems some play develops in the u-joint contained within the accordian boot on the steering column just aft of the steering box and just over the LH manifold.
I have not done any further investigation as of yet, just reporting some research.

TheDuff

Does it sound like something lightly knocking on the firewall by the pedals? Steering input to steering box? I have had the same noise and have attributed it to that, read up on it a little on the "other" forum. Seems some play develops in the u-joint contained within the accordian boot on the steering column just aft of the steering box and just over the LH manifold.
I have not done any further investigation as of yet, just reporting some research.

I will check that joint out for her when the stealership gives the jeep back. I have found some info floaty around the interwebs that it could be in the steering box itself:(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
I just went over all my bolts the past few hrs. Tightened everything. My lower control arms were a tad bit loose...tight but coukd have been tighter if you know what I mean. The noise has seemed to stop. Maybe a temp. Fix... maybe not. I'm going to the dealership monday for oil change, if it comes back I will let them know. On another not, I seemed to have a little bit of a bent shock mount on the rear. Will this effect anything?

Loose lower ca's can always cause a clunk, just make sure your bushing are good.
Shock mounts-Nahh, they all do that when you torque them down=normal. Just make sure your bushing is good and not all dry rotted and falling apart.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
All the bushing are fine. Thanks for the info on the shocks.

Top Bottom