Manual to Auto Trans Swap

RockIt Man

Got my hands on an auto trans. How hard would it be to replace a manual?

Please keep in mind, I'm looking for how not why ;)

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I dont have a full solid answer, but it could potentially be a pretty involved project. Im going to watch this thread though, I might be able to pick up some know how.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

RockIt Man

I'm thinking the tranny itself should bolt right in. What I'm curious about is wether ill need a special module or wiring harness etc to make it work. Also, I know I would have to swap in a new shifter and front console

Dave_g

I donno if you would need a front console, my 13' dash has all the LED's for an auto. Might just be a section or 2 of wiring harness to plug it in. Worst case, the whole onboard computer need swapping. If you find one in a junkyard that wasn't on fire it could be easyer.

81SocalCJ

I'm not sure if there is a separate Transmission control module or if the transmission is controlled by the ECM. But either way the automatic tranny is going to need a different computer then the manual tranny.

billybob990

You will need a new computer, tranny wiring harness tranny lines (if running a cooler) which is recommended, shifter assembly, new fly wheel. Just a few things off the top of my head lol I will say its a lot easier to go from manual to auto than auto to manual. Also it depends on how the tranny is wired you may need a whole new harness,I'm not sure if the jeeps have a wiring harness just for the tranny that plugs into the main harness or not.

Top Bottom