shrinkwrapping a had top?

seanb123

It's almost time for the soft top and was thinking of what to do with the hard top. I have no garage or anything so I think I'm going to put under the back deck. bad news it's dirty so I was thinking of shrink wrapping it like they do to boats to winterized them. Any thoughts?

arashi

Cafe table for the living room, lol... I have I friend who does that (no kidding)... I'll try to get some pictures...

But seriously,

You could also buy a wood crate. I would not feel comfortable wrap like that. I don't know, it's just me.

rtguy1

I would be worried about moisture retention with the shrink wrap. It would be sad to unwrap it and have it be all funky or moldy due to trapped moisture. I would just sit it on blocks up off the ground and cover it versus a full wrap. :idontknow:

seanb123

another thing is it that expensive not really finding a price? do you know what your buddy pays

cottrellsahara

It's almost time for the soft top and was thinking of what to do with the hard top. I have no garage or anything so I think I'm going to put under the back deck. bad news it's dirty so I was thinking of shrink wrapping it like they do to boats to winterized them. Any thoughts?

I would highly recommend not doing this!!!! my neighbor has a 2012 sahara 2 door and he stored it under his deck and under a tarp. when it came time for us to put it back on...oh boy was that thing a mess! Mold all over the inside that barely came off and the rear windshield wiper had busted off keep in mind he and his wife are the only ones who live there not kids knocked it around or anything part of the top had split but the most concerning part to me was all the mold found on the inside never heard of anyone shrink wrapping a top interesting idea works excellent on boats can imagine it would do great for tops as well

rtguy1

I would highly recommend not doing this!!!! my neighbor has a 2012 sahara 2 door and he stored it under his deck and under a tarp. when it came time for us to put it back on...oh boy was that thing a mess! Mold all over the inside that barely came off and the rear windshield wiper had busted off keep in mind he and his wife are the only ones who live there not kids knocked it around or anything part of the top had split but the most concerning part to me was all the mold found on the inside never heard of anyone shrink wrapping a top interesting idea works excellent on boats can imagine it would do great for tops as well

Wow that's sucks. They were probably sad and pissed like no other. You wouldn't expect it to get totaled just from storage.

Tackerdown

Banned
Either prop it up on some 4x4's or get some saw horses that you cut the 2x4 to make the night and width you need then get a car cover from Walmart so its covered and breaths. Then you should be ok. As for the boat wrap I can't remember what that cost but if you do that you need them to put vents in or cut vent in. I would go with a breathe able car cover though .

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
They will put vent in it if you get the boat cover. Shrink wrap my boat every winter and they put them in just for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
They will put vent in it if you get the boat cover. Shrink wrap my boat every winter and they put them in just for that reason.

That's what I thought the last time. I had a 19' glassport wrapped and no vents were put in. I had it stored for 2 years and when I uncovered it the floor was shot. I was more than pissed to say the least.

cottrellsahara

Wow that's sucks. They were probably sad and pissed like no other. You wouldn't expect it to get totaled just from storage.

funny thing was he didnt seem phased at all he thought that it was going to just hose off.... that wasnt the case after scrubing for about an hour and a half it still had signs of mold but there was nothing he could do about it he planning on doing it again this summer hes crazyyy!!!

Tackerdown

Banned
Just another though , other than theft why not just put it out back uncovered. It's out all the time anyway.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Put it out back and put a tarp over it. Gives it some protection and allows it to air out. It's the summer it's not going to get moldy like it would in the winter

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Or like this?!?!?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365282889.350846.jpg

Last edited:

Toneman

Have you considered renting a storage unit and tossing it in there? Climate control for the win!

Top Bottom