Broken axles

kthulhu

I have seen lots of videos where Jeeps have broke their front axles, is that very common with light trail riding or is this because they really drove them hard for a while and it's finally giving in and breaking? I'll have a Dana 44 in the front since I'm buying a Rubicon so I shouldn't have any problems but wanted to ask anyway. (Note: I live in Arkansas so it's not like I live in Moab so we don't have a bunch of boulders)

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I have seen lots of videos where Jeeps have broke their front axles, is that very common with light trail riding or is this because they really drove them hard for a while and it's finally giving in and breaking? I'll have a Dana 44 in the front since I'm buying a Rubicon so I shouldn't have any problems but wanted to ask anyway. (Note: I live in Arkansas so it's not like I live in Moab so we don't have a bunch of boulders)

Snapping a shaft could be from too much heavy pedal or running way to big of a tire. A housing can be busted or bent doing too much rough stuff. Breaking crap usually happens if people are just going nuts..lol

Skirmish

Fastest way to snap a shaft is bouncing the tires. The wheel goes from spinning to a stop an the axle keeps going. I've seen it on d44's front and rear. If you are dealing with mud or no traction it isn't as much as an issue. Spinning is okay until you suddenly get traction. Then you hear a pop and its over.

Best way to bend or break a housing is to get the tires off the ground and drop it again. As said, big tires will increase the risk.

If you are lucky you will just snap a U joint. Much easier to repair and cheaper. It's also easy to carry a spare and it can be swapped on the trail.

Last edited:

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Good point Skirmish. I watched a guy destroy his Carrier, R&P, Spiders...etc.. spinning in dirt doing dougnuts then he grabbed some pavement. That was the most gut wrenching sound I have ever heard. I was like damn!!:eek: I had an R&P pop on me twice in my GMC, but it never sounded like that..

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Wow, that must have set free a LOT of metal. From fun times to suck in .35 seconds.

They towed the truck to his house. He popped the pumpkin cover and it looked like legos falling out of the housing.. it was bad. Mine popped to improper install.

Skirmish

Here's how we got a TJ with a snapped rear axle off the trail. Do not try this at home! Funny part was he is a plumber so the crack is professional.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365319222.219416.jpg

We ratchet strapped a HiLift handle to the frame rails and dumped gear oil on the tire to keep the wheel in. It actually worked.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The most common breaks on factory front shaft are due to c-clips that get pried off and allow bearing caps to fall off. Basic chromoly shafts with full circle clips will do wonders to help prevent this from happening. Front housing breaks are hyped up to no end but, are in fact very rare. With over 2 million JKs out there, I have only seen 2 breaks and heard of about a dozen others in the last 6+ years. Far from being something I'd be concerned about.

TheDuff

The most common breaks on factory front shaft are due to c-clips that get pried off and allow bearing caps to fall off. Basic chromoly shafts with full circle clips will do wonders to help prevent this from happening. Front housing breaks are hyped up to no end but, are in fact very rare. With over 2 million JKs out there, I have only seen 2 breaks and heard of about a dozen others in the last 6+ years. Far from being something I'd be concerned about.

Those 2 breaks wouldn't happen to be the same person would it?:rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
I hate hijacking but can someone tell me why the front axle housing has a smaller diameter than the back. They are on a 2011 rubi . I've tried to find something on this but struck out. They both have the 44 diff. Cover
Signed
Confused.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I hate hijacking but can someone tell me why the front axle housing has a smaller diameter than the back. They are on a 2011 rubi . I've tried to find something on this but struck out. They both have the 44 diff. Cover
Signed
Confused.

The rubi's all have Dana 44's front and back the sport and sahara's have the Dana 30 up front

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
The rubi's all have Dana 44's front and back the sport and sahara's have the Dana 30 up front

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's what I was under the impression of and the diff. Cover is the same and locks front and rear but the shaft housing in the rear is bigger than the front. I am curious why they would do that. I just don't understand why they would make one if the tubes bigger than the other.

TheDuff

Are u referencing the actual length of the tubes or the diameter? If the length: the offset pumpkin up front is due to the orientation of the front shaft from the transfer case. as the drive shaft must be on one side of the transmission or the other, since the trans is in the way of allowing a centered pumpkin:D
Hope that makes sense!

TheDuff

Here is a official schematic of Moby to help show what I think I'm trying to explain, haha, too much expresso:rolleyes:

TheDuff

1365367033740.jpg it didn't attach to the last post:banghead:

Top Bottom