What Next?

Firewrangler

Ok....so last summer when I lifted my '07 JK, I went with a 3.5" Skyjacker economy lift and 3/4" spacer up front as well. The kit was shocks and springs. Hind sight being what it is, I wouldn't go with as much lift again. So what should I go with next to help the flighty steering and pulling when braking? Friend from a local off road shop says track bar relocation bracket and drop pitman arm. Y'all's thoughts?

rubicrawl

I found this on the project jk website

Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
A: Caster is the angle upon which your front axle sits at in order to help keep your Jeep driving straight. Positive caster, which is what you want, will cause your axle end forgings or, axle C's to sit in a way that the top of them will be angled ever so slightly back. Too little or even negative caster angle can cause your Jeep to wander and feel 'flighty' or 'darty' as I've heard some people call it. From the factory, your JK will have +4.2° of caster. If you lift your Jeep and install larger tires, you will want to increase this amount just a bit to help compensate for the modifications. While more positive caster will make your Jeep handle better, too much can cause your drive shaft to vibrate and this is especially true if you are running an aftermarket drive shaft with a higher gear ratio. Ideally, you'll want to keep your caster as close to factory as possible.

StrizzyChris

Friend from a local off road shop says track bar relocation bracket and drop pitman arm. Y'all's thoughts?

If you are addressing your steering and axle components, I would agree that a trackbar relocation and/or adjustable trackbar would be beneficial. A drop pitman arm will be the cheaper way to address your draglink but, by design and function, it will add stress to your sector shaft. I would recommend a drag link flip. Now you can buy all of these parts separately from different companies OR you could address them all with Kits like EVO, synergy, or AEV also makes a kit

Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?

Caster will not correct your steering geometry, but as rubicrawl mentioned it will help with the "flighty" feeling when lifting a Jeep. Adjustable control arms, and high steer kit combined should help resolve your issues.

Firewrangler

Yeah, that why I posted here in the tech section. Figured I'd get a lot of input. Just want to know what's gonna help the most. Gotta do it in steps right now to afford it.

dahoover5866

Tacker it's the uppers that u need to have adjustable for the caster, front and rear, I'm working in improving my geometry as well, adjustable track bars check lca's, uca's, evo drag link flip, and for shits n gigs chromoly tie rod, an this was covered but there are a lot of kits out there and place like evo are pretty nice even if u bug like me

Tackerdown

Banned
Tacker it's the uppers that u need to have adjustable for the caster, front and rear, I'm working in improving my geometry as well, adjustable track bars check lca's, uca's, evo drag link flip, and for shits n gigs chromoly tie rod, an this was covered but there are a lot of kits out there and place like evo are pretty nice even if u bug like me
Hmm I thought it was the front lowers control arms at least over 3" and then the rear uppers if you want them for a 4 door. That was at the min. you would need. The front lowers would correct your caster. Then if you want to bring everything back to spec you would do upper and lower for re-centering in your wheel well and caster . Then after 3" do the flip kit instead of the pit arm as was mentioned and get a new front drive shaft or be prepared to.:idontknow:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hmm I thought it was the front lowers control arms at least over 3" and then the rear uppers if you want them for a 4 door. That was at the min. you would need. The front lowers would correct your caster. Then if you want to bring everything back to spec you would do upper and lower for re-centering in your wheel well. Then after 3" do the flip kit instead of the pit arm as was mentioned and get a new front drive shaft or be prepared to.:idontknow:

You are correct. Lowers front uppers rear.

Top Bottom