Cross Country Directions Help

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Cross Country Directions Help Plus Long Distance Maintenance

Hey guys, Im taking my Jeep to Moab the first week of may, and thought members along the route can give me some advice as to which route is better (faster with less traffic.)

The first one is through I80W. Goes near places like Chicago which I would think may clog up.
ScreenShot2013-04-07at93903PM_zps2f80e523.png

The second one is through I70W
ScreenShot2013-04-07at93925PM_zps89d890bd.png

So, which route do you think is the smarter move? They are both almost exactly the same, with I70 being 10 miles more. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Last edited:

rubicrawl

I would suggest the second one I'm not from that side of town but it seems like you would go through less big cities like Chicago. 10 miles ain't a lot if your going 70 mph rather than being stuck in traffic for 2 hrs

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I would suggest the second one I'm not from that side of town but it seems like you would go through less big cities like Chicago. 10 miles ain't a lot if your going 70 mph rather than being stuck in traffic for 2 hrs

My thoughts exactly...but the second one takes me through St. Louis I believe.....

StrizzyChris

Hey guys, Im taking my Jeep to Moab the first week of may, and thought members along the route can give me some advice as to which route is better (faster with less traffic.)

The first one is through I80W. Goes near places like Chicago which I would think may clog up.

So, which route do you think is the smarter move? They are both almost exactly the same, with I70 being 10 miles more. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I cant comment on I80 but have gone down I70 many times on my cross country drives. From Columbus OH to St. Louis will be fairly thick traffic but constantly moving as long as there are no accidents during afternoon hours. Just be sure to plan your pass through St. Louis to be either a couple hours before or after 5pm. Thats the only place that I really got hung up in traffic twice. From St. Louis to Denver is a tremendously boring breeze. Hardly any traffic any time of day.

Atch

I cant comment on I80 but have gone down I70 many times on my cross country drives. From Columbus OH to St. Louis will be fairly thick traffic but constantly moving as long as there are no accidents during afternoon hours. Just be sure to plan your pass through St. Louis to be either a couple hours before or after 5pm. Thats the only place that I really got hung up in traffic twice. From St. Louis to Denver is a tremendously boring breeze. Hardly any traffic any time of day.

The same can be said for I80. Chicago isn't too bad cause you stay south of the city but you should still plan accordingly as to avoid rush hour. Once you're past Chicago it's a boring/easy drive to Denver.

Brankz

wow how many day from NY to moab ? its going to be a long fun drive

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Going to attempt to drive it in two 15.5 hour legs. If a friend comes along I will just drive straight through alternating drivers.

StrizzyChris

Going to attempt to drive it in two 15.5 hour legs. If a friend comes along I will just drive straight through alternating drivers.

It can be done! I did the 2300miles from Ohio to Orange County every time between 38 and 44 hours by my self and stopping to sleep once. But the butt gets a little achy :shock:

gsmoak

Having driven them both more than once I would go with I-70 because you get to see the Colorado high country along the way and end up heading more directly to Moab. I-80 can be faster at some times of the year but by early May you shouldn't have to worry about traffic snarls in Rockies due to storms and skier traffic. As for the cities, Chicago, Denver, or otherwise, it's all about the time of day that you hit them!

Lane87

Definitely 70. There's a bit of construction around Indianapolis right now so it will be slow.. If you want to take a serious scenic route you should take hwy 50! It's a beautiful drive but probably about 5 hours longer.. It's worth it in my opinion..

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Definitely 70. There's a bit of construction around Indianapolis right now so it will be slow.. If you want to take a serious scenic route you should take hwy 50! It's a beautiful drive but probably about 5 hours longer.. It's worth it in my opinion..

Can I offroad in the construction zone? :rock:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Also, any tips on vehicle maintenance/preparation? I am planning on changing the oil (to synthetic) before I leave, as well as both diffs. Anything else I should do before my 5000 mile adventure?

Top Bottom