XJ HELP for my little brother

jeepgreenjon

Hey Everyone! So my my new little brother-in-law has decided he wants to get into the Jeep Wayalife and decided to buy my dads old Xj. He is only 17 and didnt have money for anything fancy so we have decided to fab up front spring spacers in my fabrication shop and have also decided to add some s10 springs to his rear spring pack to eliminate the large amount of sag and hopefully gain some lift. What im wondering is what size U-bolts do I have to find, also if we can accomplish 3" with the s10 springs and some new shackles is there anything else I should telling him to find before we do the job? Will his rear drive shaft still be fine? Are there any springs from any other vehicle we could slide in the front and gain around 3"? Im making him some shock extenders (using the ones from my jk rough country lift as a template) also some brake line extenders. Ive read around on the internet and there are a lot of "this should work" or "this might work" But I want some definite answers on how I can lift his 97 xj for cheap! Hes so excited about it and want to get it on the road for him soon! Thanks guys
:2thumbsup:

Ctowns

Check out NAXJA as well http://www.naxja.org/

When I had my XJ's bastard pack lifts with Dakota springs were the popular approach. Not sure anymore its been about 5-6 years since I've had an XJ.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jhires

I put this on my XJ about 15 years ago.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...kits/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-add-a-leaf-kit.html

For the price, it was awesome. I'm not saying it was the best 3" Lift available, but again, for a cheap lift, it had everything I needed and let me run 32" tires with some trimming of the flares and fender corners. The only part I had to go get was new leaf spring center pins for the add-a-leaf. I don't know if this has changed with their kit, but it was a inexpensive part as well.

The add-a-leafs made for a very stiff back end but the front coils were plenty flexible. I wheeled that rig hard and never had any problems with the lift or the add-a-leaf.

jeepgreenjon

I put this on my XJ about 15 years ago.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...kits/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-add-a-leaf-kit.html

For the price, it was awesome. I'm not saying it was the best 3" Lift available, but again, for a cheap lift, it had everything I needed and let me run 32" tires with some trimming of the flares and fender corners. The only part I had to go get was new leaf spring center pins for the add-a-leaf. I don't know if this has changed with their kit, but it was a inexpensive part as well.

The add-a-leafs made for a very stiff back end but the front coils were plenty flexible. I wheeled that rig hard and never had any problems with the lift or the add-a-leaf.

Awesome Im going to pass that on to him and let him decide if it fits his budget... Im still trying to convince him there is nothing wrong with taking zip cuts and sawsalls to his Cherokee fenders! I told him if I can take a saw to my JK he can take a saw to his old cherokee. You have any pictures of your old rig?

jhires

Awesome Im going to pass that on to him and let him decide if it fits his budget... Im still trying to convince him there is nothing wrong with taking zip cuts and sawsalls to his Cherokee fenders! I told him if I can take a saw to my JK he can take a saw to his old cherokee. You have any pictures of your old rig?

I wish I did. I used to have a few, but lost them over the years. Add to that, the more I wheeled, the less pictures I took. Was having too much fun to stop and take a pic. :)

Rex Havoc

Budget XJ

My son runs a '96 XJ. He runs 35s with just a skosh over 4.5" of lift, low and wide he says. He spent most of his time on sheet metal work and his money on drive train. Be more than happy to share experiences! Awesome to get the younger ones into 'wheeling! I have a sticker on my ZJ that sums it up. "Your's Can Go Fast, Mine Can Go ANYWHERE!" Encourage him! And at some point, get him to make the pilgramage to Moab! Wheel On!!!

Attachments

• Lance Pics 191.jpg
    Lance Pics 191.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 53

billybob990

I can lift mine 5 inches for around 1200. 3 in rough country lift without shocks, 2in shackles and 2 in spring spacers, buy adjustable track bar, slip yoke eliminator kit and rear driveshaft and quick discos, then 5 in lift shocks. I get shocks at a discount since I work at oreillys, also adjustable lower control arms.

Top Bottom