What happened to Superior Axle and Gear??

Majik

Just wondering if anyone knew what happened to them?? Multiple suppliers are out of stock, QTec told me they have had so many supply problems that they've dropped carrying their stuff except for remaining stock, and Superior isn't answering any of their phones...

Of course, right as I was trying to order my 5.13 R&P!! :grayno:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what happened to them. They got bought out about 6 years ago and things haven't been the same since. Regardless, just about every single R&P made is made by the same South Korean manufacturer anyway. They're just boxed up in different packages and Superior was no different.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Funny you posted this. I had a local vendor calling on axle shafts for me. He said he called superior and was on hold forever several times yesterday and never spoke to anyone.

Majik

I had thought that superior was one of the only ones left still manufacturing here in the US?? Or was that only axles and not R&Ps?

CRAZYCASEY

I waited 2 months for a replacement front shaft from them last January. Every time I called I was told it would be shipping out that week. It never showed up and I decided to just go to 60s after breaking another shaft. I would never buy from them again I think there are plenty of other good manufactures out there.

Majik

So now that my project was delayed a little by the incessant wait for Superior gears to come back into stock (which now looks iffy), I started looking again at R&Ps. Just an interesting note: G2 gears are listed as having a lifetime warranty! I've never seen that on an R&P before. I had been impressed by even a 2 year warranty on these in the past... Maybe I just never looked closely, but I just thought I'd pass that on as an impressive sidenote...

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I waited 2 months for a replacement front shaft from them last January. Every time I called I was told it would be shipping out that week. It never showed up and I decided to just go to 60s after breaking another shaft. I would never buy from them again I think there are plenty of other good manufactures out there.

You were running superior gear stuff?

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

CRAZYCASEY

Philip *AZ* said:
You were running superior gear stuff?

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

Yes I ran their front shafts in my d44 front for about 3 months until I broke one and could not get a replacement from them. Then I upgraded to the 60s. I am running Yukon shafts in my d60s.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Thats not what I wanted to hear. Well, I suppose Ten Factory or Alloy USA it is. Whats your guy's take on Motive Gear?

Majik

Thats not what I wanted to hear. Well, I suppose Ten Factory or Alloy USA it is. Whats your guy's take on Motive Gear?

I always found Motive associated with essentially OEM replacement grade axles/gears. I don't recall upgraded designs/materials (such as Chromoly, etc) from Motive.

As I mentioned earlier, however, don't forget G2 as a brand option. They apparently have a lifetime warranty on their R&Ps, which says something. Especially on their 'Performance' series which they advertise as "Designed to hold up to oversized tires and high performance engines...". If they are going to warranty a gearset for life after openly advertising it being designed for big tires, that earns them a second look in my book. :hmm: Not to mention at around $200 a set on multiple sites, the price is quite reasonable, IMO.

Not that it really matters, but I wonder where they (G2's) are made, though... of course, USA would be preferable, but given the rarity of that anymore, I guess we have to deal with what we can get a hold of...

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I know G2 has been in the racing scene for quite some time (many years). I will give them a look for my R&P option. Thanks for your insight, much appreciated. I plan on running a Detroit Soft Locker in my rear D44 and an ARB up front in the D30. Im kind of leaning on Eddie's and a couple other's thoughts of not running an RCV axle kit up front. They make valid points of possibly breaking an R&P over an axle. Granted, a break would suck anyway, but a chromoly shaft or a u-joint would be the better choice to break for the obvious reasons. Im dont wheel too hard, mostly trails and back country stuff. But there are some trails out here in AZ that will make you kinda nervous about your rig. Well, thanks again dude! I will definitely give G2 a look.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
"G2 also makes the G2 Performance Series ring and pinions too. These are created from a different kind of metal – 8620 steel. This makes these gears tougher and more durable than the OEM series discussed above. These gears are tough enough to handle whatever you might throw at them, but dependable enough to be used daily. Like the OEM gears, they are sold in sets and offer the same consistency in tolerances of installation." From G2, I guess it was originally "Original Gear."
The warranty is great, still cant find where they are made. I will give them a shot. Thanks again guys!

Majik

Phillip, I think I'm gonna end up giving them a shot, too! Now, on a separate note, ever considered getting the R&P cryo-treated?? I have read alot of good about it, and talked for 30 minutes with the owner of Performance Cryogenics last week and treating a ring and pinion runs about 50-60 bucks. He seemed to be quite knowledgable and not pushy in the least. The process takes about 24 hours. After talking with a friend that used to work for NASA, the benefits are real if done correctly... much stronger R&P without increasing brittleness. This company seems to know how to do it correctly...

I'm considering it because I agree with what you mentioned that Eddie hinted at... you'd rather break a CV joint than a R&P. But, for $50 extra, I would consider it for the extra peace of mind of knowing my R&P was a bit tougher.

I know... off topic... :)

Philip *AZ*

Banned
The G2 brand is possibly made in Korea. Ive found 4 different forums staring that, that's pretty much what I was thinking was something overseas. For some reason I was thinking Germany, but I dont what made me think that. Well I think I have beat this section to death..lol.. Someone elses turn to chime in..lol

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I actually was thinking about cryo treating. Honest! I mentioned it to a friend as well. Im need to read more about it, but it sounds legit to me. I need more research to read, but I think Im on the G2 band wagon.

StrizzyChris

I believe it was prime that is our local metal man (he is a grocery clerk but claims to be some sort of metal expert). When we all discussed cryo a while back, a few stated that the act of cryo is mostly beneficial immediately fallowing the heat treatment process. When its days or months(like when we usually recieve the product) the benefits of cryo treatment are minimal. Again this is regurgitation and I am hoping they chime in as well. I dont see there being a huge benefit, otherwise wouldnt all these steel companies that offer lifetime warranties do it to theirs to prevent loss? I dont know, but food for thought.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Like I said, I need to do more rsearch on the cryo subject. It would be nice to add extra strength where we can get it, but Im with you, it depends on factual strength added plus the cost and hassle. I probably would not do it, but its always cool to learn about stuff like that. I have been learning tons just from two threads. I love the great knowledge base we have here.

Last edited:

Prime8

Phillip, I think I'm gonna end up giving them a shot, too! Now, on a separate note, ever considered getting the R&P cryo-treated?? I have read alot of good about it, and talked for 30 minutes with the owner of Performance Cryogenics last week and treating a ring and pinion runs about 50-60 bucks. He seemed to be quite knowledgable and not pushy in the least. The process takes about 24 hours. After talking with a friend that used to work for NASA, the benefits are real if done correctly... much stronger R&P without increasing brittleness. This company seems to know how to do it correctly...

I'm considering it because I agree with what you mentioned that Eddie hinted at... you'd rather break a CV joint than a R&P. But, for $50 extra, I would consider it for the extra peace of mind of knowing my R&P was a bit tougher.

I know... off topic... :)

As a metallurgist, I can tell you that cryo treating your gears isn't going to be noticeably beneficial. It MAY raise your HRC hardness 1 point, if anything. It is one of the many myths that pass through the community and it makes money, so people think its legit. Your buddy that works for NASA probably works with a lot of nickel-based superalloys. High nickel alloys benefit greatly from cryo treatment, quickly after heat treatment.

If you think that quenching your gears with a cryo treatment is beneficial, especially after sitting on a shelf for months, then I'll treat your gears for $25. I even coat them with snake oil after treatment, for better lubrication...

Prime8

I believe it was prime that is our local metal man (he is a grocery clerk but claims to be some sort of metal expert). When we all discussed cryo a while back, a few stated that the act of cryo is mostly beneficial immediately fallowing the heat treatment process. When its days or months(like when we usually recieve the product) the benefits of cryo treatment are minimal. Again this is regurgitation and I am hoping they chime in as well. I dont see there being a huge benefit, otherwise wouldnt all these steel companies that offer lifetime warranties do it to theirs to prevent loss? I dont know, but food for thought.

Haha, paper or plastic?

Top Bottom