Rim debate

billybob990

I have seen many debates on here about 15 or 17 in rims well I have 17's and I am sold on them as of today. My brake caliper locked up and when at the auto parts store I realized I didn't have my jack so I crawled under and was looking around, then I realized I didn't need to take my wheel off to change it. I've got 4.5" of back spacing and it was a perfect fit and also not having to take the wheel off would make a trail fix a lot easier just thought I'd share

Last edited:

jkmohican

Well I know a lot of people with 15"s and really don't have issues, but im on your boat. 15"s just don't look right with any tire over 33". I'm going with 17s, they look better and don't look ridiculously small, while still giving you as much flex as you need. The traction you get from airing down 15" wheels is better sure, but it isn't all that much better. Plus, on a 33"-35", you still getting plenty of side wall to rub on the rocks so there's not much issue.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It is a hot debate. Tires for the 15" rims are easier to find, but do look funny on large tires.

Talking about having a hard time finding a tire to fit your rims. I have 16" rims and it's had as hell to find a cheap tire and/or one I like

Sent from my iPhone somewhere over the rainbow

Skirmish

The benefit to a smaller wheel is that when you air down you get more side wall to grip rocks. A larger wheel will give you a more stable ride on the road as you get less sidewall flex on corners.

Well they dont by themselves... but they do allow you to run larger tires without making them look like balloons. One generally runs larger tires on larger lifts. This is what I meant.

Not saying you cant run a 37" on a 15" but how bout 40"s? 17" tires are everywhere now so the "availability" is really no longer an issue...

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
they do allow you to run larger tires without making them look like balloons. One generally runs larger tires on larger lifts. This is what I meant.

Ok yea the balloon part makes sense. I understand what you ment now. you upgrade your tire size with your lift otherwise you have these tiny ass looking tires. The rim size will help your lift by determining your need out of the tire.

Sent from my iPhone somewhere over the rainbow

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
15's vs 17's is a good debate with pros and cons for both sides, but I'll bet when resale time comes around, you'll get more positive action with the 17's. Just my:twocents:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Why do you think 17s would have a better resale

Hey Outlaw, welcome aboard! Good question. I'm trying to look at it from more than the cosmetic angle. 17's are the stock size on some models and the tire selection is greater (my opinion). I also believe the chassis was designed with 17's in mind even though you can find 15's and 18's on stockers out there. I'm also thinking more people stay with or convert to 17's than to 15's. If it were me, I'd buy a used JK with 15's, but knowing I'm changing to 17's. Ultimately, it makes the purchase quite a bit more. I could be in the minority here, but I don't think so. Let's see how many members tell me to go take a leap.:twocents::twocents:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
You are 100% correct. I should have considered the CJ's-TJ's where 15's rule. They were my shoe of choice with the CJ's I owned. The wheels were always 15x8 and the tires ranged from 8.45x15-10x15 with the old Armstrong Tru-Trac being my favorite. That was a long time ago on a planet far, far away...:yup:

Top Bottom