Northern Vancouver Island BC Canada

TrailBear

I just got back for a three day trip out in the woods of the north end of the island I live on, I left my place at 2am to make the four and a half hour drive north to pick up my brother in-law, sure was glad I put in some new JW speaker head lights. We loaded up his gear and headed out.
IMG_7565.jpg

We stopped at a few lakes to check out the camping, we stopped by the roaring creek damn
IMG_7489.jpg

IMG_7490.jpg

before heading to where we made camp, on kathleen lake.
IMG_7508.jpg

IMG_7555.jpg

photo.jpg

We spent a full three days hunting and exploring the area putting on almost 200 off road miles , we stopped by the devils bath, a big skink hole cavern that is linked under ground to a nearby river.
IMG_7515.jpg

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7519.jpg

Tried to make it to the disappearing river but was stopped by snow, on our way out the last day we stopped to explore the old benson mine site, this mine opened in 1890 it ran on and off till about 1973.
IMG_7571.jpg

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7577.jpg

IMG_7586.jpg

There are two different mine sites within it, one being under ground, the other an open pit on top of the mountain above the site, at one point there was a tram system going up the mountain, not sure if the used it to move people or ore.
IMG_7609.jpg

IMG_7610.jpg

It was a fun trip I had a blast jeepin' my way around the hills, im planing a trip to take the family up there for the may long week end:D
IMG_7530.jpg

Oh last but not least a honey shot, not the right honey but all this canuck can get till he goes south:beer:
photo-1.jpg

TrailBear

Thanks guys, the pics just dont do it justice, here are a few pics of an old truck in the mine, there is a chance my grandpa may have drove it as it was from a logging company in my home town, he worked for them for years.
IMG_7599.jpg

IMG_7595.jpg

IMG_7601.jpg

You can just make out the name of the company, Elk River Timber.
IMG_7600.jpg

Gucho

Looks amazing!! Would love to recreate that trip with my fiance! I live in Edmonton so i dont know the island at all... :confused:

Sent from my GT-S5690M using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailBear

Looks amazing!! Would love to recreate that trip with my fiance! I live in Edmonton so i dont know the island at all... :confused:

Sent from my GT-S5690M using WAYALIFE mobile app

It wouldn't be to hard with a good road map, and an off road map book.

If you don't push the limits how do you find them??

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Trail Bear, I now have the first item on my off road bucket list, Vancouver Island. Love the pics and the history. The old truck your Grandpa may have driven is special.:yup:

TrailBear

Trail Bear, I now have the first item on my off road bucket list, Vancouver Island. Love the pics and the history. The old truck your Grandpa may have driven is special.:yup:

Let me know if you make it up:) I'm going to try and drive from the south end of the island to the north with out touching pavement. My dad looked at the pics of the truck and said my grandpa had driven the truck a few times over the years.

If you don't push the limits how do you find them??

Top Bottom