Nitto Trail Grapplers vs. Wrangler Duratracs

ctlazer5

So I've been thinking about upgrading tires and rims but can't decide on what to get. Basically I'm between Nitto Trail Grapplers or Wrangler Duratracs both in 33s probably. What do you guys like better? Why? What wears better (main question) lol. I also don't know what size rims to get 17s or 18s. I don't go offroading as much as some of the guys on here so I feel like 18s would look good but not sure. Any input/advice is greatly appreciated. If anyone on here are running either of these tires and rim sizes I'd love to see some pics.

Last edited:

jkrossi

look into the toyo open country a/t II. They offer a warranty like a 65,000 mile one. And i believe you will find them for a better price.

Atch

look into the toyo open country a/t II. They offer a warranty like a 65,000 mile one. And i believe you will find them for a better price.

The a/t looks nothing like the 2 tires he is looking at. If you're going to throw a toyo in for comparison I'd say look at the open country mt. Pretty much the same as the trail grappler mt

MTG

Caught the Bug
I've ran both. If I had to pick I would go for the Nittos. :thumb:
I bought the duratracs for the snow performance and I thought they did great. However, their weak sidewall is a big issue if you go off road. I cut mine on a very mild dirt road. :grayno:

Although we had a pretty mild winter, I have to say I thought the Nitto Trail Grapplers did just as good on the snow. However, their off road performance is better, plus I think they are a tougher tire. I have about 15K+ miles on my Nittos and they look great still! I'd expect them to wear better than the duratracs.

Bottom line: If you want on-road/winter performance go with the duratracs...if you want on-road/winter/off road performance go with the Nittos. :thumb:

Last edited:

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Nitto Trail Grapplers are shit! The Dura Tracs are awesome too. My friend is running Duratrac 35's. they look good and function great.. He loves them.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

jkrossi

The a/t looks nothing like the 2 tires he is looking at. If you're going to throw a toyo in for comparison I'd say look at the open country mt. Pretty much the same as the trail grappler mt

yeah your right for some reason i was picturing the terra grapplers.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Ooh! I missed a THE in there with my Nitto compliment..lol.. My bad!!

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
With an 18" wheel wouldnt the tire be more likely to slip the bead? Ive heard this somewhere, but I cant find the article I read.

Bacon

For New England winters I would suggest Duratracs all the way. There is a lot of siping in them which is necessary for snow and ice traction. Duratracs are actually rated as a "winter" tire (see snowflake and mountain symbol on sidewall). I had them on my old JK as well as an Avalanche and they are a pretty good alternative to a dedicated winter tire. I haven't seen Trail Grapplers in person but from what I've seen online there is very little siping. The only way I would go with the Grapplers would be if you do a lot of rock crawling and have winter tires to put on your rig in the winter. Good luck in your search and post pics once they're on!

ctlazer5

For New England winters I would suggest Duratracs all the way. There is a lot of siping in them which is necessary for snow and ice traction. Duratracs are actually rated as a "winter" tire (see snowflake and mountain symbol on sidewall). I had them on my old JK as well as an Avalanche and they are a pretty good alternative to a dedicated winter tire. I haven't seen Trail Grapplers in person but from what I've seen online there is very little siping. The only way I would go with the Grapplers would be if you do a lot of rock crawling and have winter tires to put on your rig in the winter. Good luck in your search and post pics once they're on!

Thanks a lot! I think I like the Duratracs better. What size rim you suggest?

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I've been running the Duratracs in 315 for over a year now. They are great on the snow and ice on road. I went snow wheeling last year and they pulled me through everything. I know a lot of people worry about the 2 ply sidewall but I've had no issues there. I even rubbed against a downed tree that left a pretty decent gash but no puncture. I was lucky, but that tells me they're not as paper thin as they're made out to be. With that said I'm getting Nitto trail grapplers but that's because I'm going to 37's.

flotto

I have Duratracs 315/70 17R and love them. They are really quiet on the road and they did well for me when I took them off road last weekend. So far no complaints at 3k miles

keno4x4

Thats great information. I wa looking and just about made my mind up for the Duratracs. All of the info kind of sealed the deal for me. Thanks to the OP :thumb: for starting the tread as these were the same 2 tires I was down to but just could not decide.

Top Bottom