Drive shaft Vibration

Scott226

I have a 2007 JK Unlimited with a 4" lift and I just installed a new Tom Woods 1310 drive shaft and I can now feel a vibration at 55-60 mph. What can I do to get rid of this new vibration?? :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Front or rear shaft?

If front, you may have too much positive caster set. If rear, you need to set your pinion angle in line with the drive shaft. Rear adjustable upper control arms are needed for this. If everything is good, you just have a shaft that wasn't balanced well.

Scott226

It was the front shaft that I replaced... I am assuming the caster setting can be adjusted??

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It was the front shaft that I replaced...

I see that you have the Rancho 4" lift, is that the Sport lift with the drop down brackets? If so, your caster should be fine and you could just have a shaft that isn't balanced well.

Scott226

It is the 4" sport lift... I went with Tom Woods cause I though they were one of the best shaft makers out there...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It is the 4" sport lift... I went with Tom Woods cause I though they were one of the best shaft makers out there...

Unfortunately, so do a lot of other people.

Take your shaft to a local shop and have it rebalanced. Shouldn't cost more than about $45 to do. If you got your Woods shaft with the Chinese made gold seal u-joints, do yourself a favor and have them replaced with made in the USA Neapco or Spicer joints. Trust me, it'll be worth your time.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I just went through the same issue. Exactly. I melted the grease out of the ujoints on the double cardan joint. I had to have the driveshaft rebuilt. When it was back in I had a vibration from 57 to 61 mph. After having it rebalanced several times it turns out that I had to yank the yokes out with it and have it balanced all together. Once I did that the vibration was gone.

Hope that helps!

Scott226

installed new front control arms and has the caster adjusted and all vibrations are gone and and running smooth now.. Thanks for all the help!:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
installed new front control arms and has the caster adjusted and all vibrations are gone and and running smooth now.. Thanks for all the help!:beer:

Good to hear. Just out of curiosity, what did you have your caster set at?

Top Bottom