Trektop NX question

Lane87

Anyone have any tips for getting the front to latch besides the sun? I got about an inch of stretch from the sun but still need another 1/2 to 3/4 inch..

Lane87

Just give it time. Let the sun stretch it. Don't rush it or you will rip/break your top.

Thanks! I've been hesitant to put too much muscle into it. Good thing I don't have anything to do today but work on the jeep. Is 10:43 too early for a beer?

SquareLJ

Sun/heat. It just needs the fibers to relax a little more. After you put it on the first time, you won't have this problem again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just give it time. Let the sun stretch it. Don't rush it or you will rip/break your top.

Yup, what he said. Sun and time will soften things up and make it easier. It'll still be hard the first time around but, you won't have to break anything.

GCM 2

What everyone else said....

My top was truly impossible to get heated up enough and stretched to get the latches to even come close to grabbing the footman loops on the windshield so I ended up doing this- Make sure the top has been sitting in the sun like everyone is saying, then start unscrewing the footloops so they will meet the header latches. Don't worry those screws are pretty long. Once there is enough slack for the footman loops and header latches to be gently linked together, slowly start tightening the footman loops back to the windshield. Alternate tightening evenly between driver and passenger side to spread the load with the header latches on the loops (but not clamped down in the locked position). Once the footman loops are tighened down completely, start slowly attaempting to lock down the top's header latches to the footman loops. Hope this helps! And be carefully with the rear windows when intially zipping everything in, especially the back center window as you can break the zippers if the top is still too tight.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My top was truly impossible to get heated up enough and stretched to get the latches to even come close to grabbing the footman loops on the windshield so I ended up doing this- Make sure the top has been sitting in the sun like everyone is saying, then start unscrewing the footloops so they will meet the header latches. Don't worry those screws are pretty long. Once there is enough slack for the footman loops and header latches to be gently linked together, slowly start tightening the footman loops back to the windshield. Alternate tightening evenly between driver and passenger side to spread the load with the header latches on the loops (but not clamped down in the locked position). Once the footman loops are tighened down completely, start slowly attaempting to lock down the top's header latches to the footman loops. Hope this helps! And be carefully with the rear windows when intially zipping everything in, especially the back center window as you can break the zippers if the top is still too tight.

He speaks from experience. I have seen his mistake. :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...and be carefully with the rear windows when intially zipping everything in, especially the back center window as you can break the zippers if the top is still too tight.

Really? Perhaps you can enlighten us as to how you would know :idontknow: ;) :crazyeyes: :D

Lane87

I think I'm going to have the same problem you did. This is day 2 sitting in the sun. Thanks for the tip!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'm going to have the same problem you did. This is day 2 sitting in the sun. Thanks for the tip!

Oh, I totally forgot, there is one other trick that I've used to speed things along. Still in the sun and while things are nice and warm, partly open up the sunrider so that it's kind of standing up, disconnect the arms one at a time and then position the ends just in front of the mounts. Slowly pull the top down and, you should find that you can latch your top without too much fuss. Leave it like this for a few days to allow things to stretch out and then, open up your sunrider, reconnect the arms into the mounts as they should be and you should be good to close it back up. :yup:

Lane87

Oh, I totally forgot, there is one other trick that I've used to speed things along. Still in the sun and while things are nice and warm, partly open up the sunrider so that it's kind of standing up, disconnect the arms one at a time and then position the ends just in front of the mounts. Slowly pull the top down and, you should find that you can latch your top without too much fuss. Leave it like this for a few days to allow things to stretch out and then, open up your sunrider, reconnect the arms into the mounts as they should be and you should be good to close it back up. :yup:

Trying that now. GCM2's tip was close but still need about another 1/2 inch to hook. The hooks were about 1/8 of an inch from touching the hoops.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How is that mounted? You could take it off and sand it down or trim it to fit. The soft top has to go under the lip on the tub.

Top Bottom