Replacing bushings.....

munstie

It is time to replace the upper control arm bushings on my axle housing was wondering, if the Johnny joint kit for these upper bushings is worth the money or am I better off going with the rubber O.E. style, or polyurethane???? Any knowledge that anyone has would be appreciated.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would stick with the OE bushings as the Johnny Joints can be too hard for that particular application especially being that you have radius arms. You can ultimately can damage or break the mount.

munstie

I am switching out the radius arms, and going to a 4 link setup front, and still throwing around the idea of three linking the rear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am switching out the radius arms, and going to a 4 link setup front, and still throwing around the idea of three linking the rear.

Well, I might still stick with the OE front upper bushings as they are large and soft. We've tried running Johnny Joints on those mounts in the past and have come back to OE.

munstie

Well, I might still stick with the OE front upper bushings as they are large and soft. We've tried running Johnny Joints on those mounts in the past and have come back to OE.

Thanks for the feedback Eddie, are the Johnny Joints just to rigid or just personal preference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback Eddie, are the Johnny Joints just to rigid or just personal preference.

For all the lowers, they are the way to go. Even on the rear upper links, I would still say they are the way to go. But up front, I have found that running them on the frame end only and the OE bushings on the axle will do better. Putting them on both ends of the links is just a bit much or, at least with an EVO coil over kit.

munstie

Coilovers are on the build sheet, probably won't happen until we are moved and established in Arizona though, front axle is gonna be the next big mod, I am still sticking with Rubicon express for the upper arms, the only thing I gotta buy is the mounts and upper arms from them to switch to a 4-link everthing else is the same, just have to cut the mounting tabs off the lca.

Top Bottom