Creaking sound

TheMikeD

I have a 2013 JKU. A creaking sound has developed in the front and seems to be getting worse. It happens when I turn the wheel and seems worse if I am turning and compressing the suspension a little (like going over a speed bump while turning).

Can one of you guys tell me what this might be?

Thanks

Tranquillity

Creaking like metal to metal ? I'd check out the U joint of your front axle shaft. But considering you have a 2013, that would be very surprising...

TheMikeD

It doesn't sound like metal on metal. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like a floor board creaking. It's not a grinding sound like two pieces of metal.

Tranquillity

Ok I picture it. Well I had a similar issue wich was causex by my body lift. My hard top does this kind of sound as well but saying that it come from the front end... You would have pinpointed it in no time. Considering you got a hardtop lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2013 JKU. A creaking sound has developed in the front and seems to be getting worse. It happens when I turn the wheel and seems worse if I am turning and compressing the suspension a little (like going over a speed bump while turning).

Can one of you guys tell me what this might be?

Thanks

Is it safe to assume your Jeep is lifted? If so, what components do you have installed. Sounds like you might have something in need of lubrication or tightening.

TheMikeD

Yes. Originally I put the Rubicon Express Standard 3.5 lift on. I just upgraded the arms with Currie but that didn't change anything.

charest2394

Hello,

1. Do you make traill with your Jeep? If Yes
2. Your plate protection of your gaz tank is it domaged or in perfect condition.
3. Do you have a body lift?

If you dont have a body lift and your Gaz tank protection was domaged there is a possibility that your fuel tank rubs the floor of your JEEP and create a creaking sound!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

1. Do you make traill with your Jeep? If Yes
2. Your plate protection of your gaz tank is it domaged or in perfect condition.
3. Do you have a body lift?

If you dont have a body lift and your Gaz tank protection was domaged there is a possibility that your fuel tank rubs the floor of your JEEP and create a creaking sound!

I seriously doubt it. I've been running a factory gas tank skid for well over 6 years now, without a body lift and, even though it's beat, I do not get any sounds from it.

silverbackjk

I has a sound coming from my front lower shock mount that took a while to find just blasted it with white lithium grease and is now creak free! Good luck finding it!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The track bar is Rubicon Express

If I could guess, your creaking is coming from it. If you can recreate the sound while standing still (bounce or rock your Jeep around), have someone do just that and, while they are, hold the track bar. If it vibrates, that's where the creaking is coming from. More than likely, you have a bushing that is dry or a heim that is going bad.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's juste a possibility!

Fair enough, is it safe to assume this is something you've experienced? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to step on your toes but, I have been playing with JK's since they've come out, have owned 4 of them, have wheeled them hard and have owned other Jeeps for even longer. In that time, this is something that I have never seen before.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I started having creaking sounds too, just figured it out is coming from front drivers seat which is new replaced by dealer 2 weeks ago, sounds like it was coming from drivers tire area. :idontknow:

TheMikeD

If I could guess, your creaking is coming from it. If you can recreate the sound while standing still (bounce or rock your Jeep around), have someone do just that and, while they are, hold the track bar. If it vibrates, that's where the creaking is coming from. More than likely, you have a bushing that is dry or a heim that is going bad.

Thanks. I will give that a try

KennyFrench

I started having creaking sounds too, just figured it out is coming from front drivers seat which is new replaced by dealer 2 weeks ago, sounds like it was coming from drivers tire area. :idontknow:

I have a creak that started just the other day when turning and it sounds like it's coming from the driver's seat. I can stand beside the Jeep and push the driver's seat to simulate my fat arse leaning to one side (although my wife said it creaks for her too and she's a size 4) and I can hear the creak. But, if I rock the Jeep there's no creak. I just bought it in June and haven't been off-road yet.

Top Bottom