ARB vs. Bubbarope

Renagade119

So before all the snow fell I went out and ordered a Smittybilt Snatch Strap, thinking that Id be pulling people out all winter. I was right on that call, I remember the first time I got a call to pull someone out after I had gotten my new strap, couldnt be more excited. So I shackle everything up and get in my Jeep, I let the clutch out and just let my Jeep roll forward under idling power, everythings going good untill all the sudden BOOM! I jerk forward and mash my head into the steering wheel, not impressed. So it turns out the Smittybilt strap is 2 different components, the inner portion is elasticized and then there is an external sheath, if you will. Now this sheath is made out what was seems like normal tow strap material. So I am not a happy camper, I am now in the market for a new recovery strap, and the ones Im looking at mainly are the ARB recovery strap and the Bubbarope products. I know that there are quite a few ARB fans on this forum so all the feedback possible would be greatly appreciated.re

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I like my ARB. Haven't seen a Bubba in person but I did look at them after I had already bought my ARB. They look pretty sweet. I don't think you'd go wrong either way. I do like being able to roll up the ARB. That might be difficult with a rope.

Last edited:

Renagade119

That's true, is the ARB strap like what in describing or does it just continue to stretch? And is that stretch progress in tension over time

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I think you may be either confusing the purpose of a snatch strap or the difference between straps. A snatch strap like the ARB or any recovery strap is, by design, supposed to be like a rubber band. You don't idle to take out the slack, you start with a little slack and give it some gas to use the energy of the strap stretching to pull out the stuck vehicle.

Now, a "tow" strap is a totally different animal. It should be relatively static (no stretch). You slowly tighten up the slack through idling and then tow a vehicle. Tow straps suck at pulling out stuck vehicles...they are made to tow, not to yank.

Tow strap = static (like a chain) = tow vehicle

Recovery strap (snatch strap) = dynamic (rubber band) = yank stuck vehicle out

Don't mix the uses...the results can be deadly.

Last edited:

Gary Palms2Pines

Recovery straps, like ARB et.al have a stretch rate of about 10-15%. The Bubba Rope (recovery rope) has a stretch rate of about 30%. The added stretch makes for a smoother, less jerky recovery. The only downside to a recovery rope is that is bulkier than an equivalent recovery strap.

Renagade119

I think you may be either confusing the purpose of a snatch strap or the difference between straps. A snatch strap like the ARB or any recovery strap is, by design, supposed to be like a rubber band. You don't idle to take out the slack, you start with a little slack and give it some gas to use the energy of the strap stretching to pull out the stuck vehicle.

Now, a "tow" strap is a totally different animal. It should be relatively static (no stretch). You slowly tighten up the slack through idling and then tow a vehicle. Tow straps suck at pulling out stuck vehicles...they are made to tow, not to yank.

Tow strap = static (like a chain) = tow vehicle

Recovery strap (snatch strap) = dynamic (rubber band) = yank stuck vehicle out

Don't mix the uses...the results can be deadly.

I understood the intended purposes of the 2 but as it being my first time using a recovery strap, I didn't want to push my luck. And I'm glad I didn't

Shinedepotjk

I like using chains, when they break they do the coolest stuff. Haha :) I've seen the arb work and have been very impressed by them. Now on that hand I've never seen a bubba rope work so not sure if I'm really helping u compare but don't think u would regret arb.

Last edited:

Steel Rain

I have an ARB Tree Protector and a 30000lb Procomp Recovery Strap. The Bubba Rope is Bucks Up for sure. Masterpull is comparable to Bubba Rope on a larger scale (they make stuff for military etc) Check them out too!!

Renagade119

I was looking at getting a Procomp strap when I was shopping for them originally but I decided on the Smittybilt for no apparent reason. How do you like your Procomp? Does it act like my Smittybilt? If you were to do it all over again would you getta Bubbarope?

Serg5000

We used the bubba rope at work. When the recovering vehicle took off I thought it would snap the rope. The rope just stretched and then the stuck truck just came out if the mud it was stuck in. The bubba rope worked awesome man. Had I not already owned the ARB straps I would buy the bubba rope.

Augichef

We used the bubba rope at work. When the recovering vehicle took off I thought it would snap the rope. The rope just stretched and then the stuck truck just came out if the mud it was stuck in. The bubba rope worked awesome man. Had I not already owned the ARB straps I would buy the bubba rope.

Sweet bubba rope is in my to order list!!
Augi

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom