Washing off the mud and dirt question...

PilotJK

Hey,

I spray off the engine compartment every time after wheeling the trails. I use mainly water and a soft brush for the stubborn areas. Anyone here uses some sort of solution mix? Or, any recommended technique? My engine doesn't have anything caked on it, but it has a light shade of brown from the dirt and mud.

jkmohican

I use simple green. It really removes the deep staines, and its all natural. Just spray it on the major areas (avoid battery, intake) and let it soak. Then just wash it down. Don't use high power!!

Teckfall

Yes x2 on the simple green I also will take a rag to wipe down some of the crevasses. Some people say wash with the engine on I did it with the engine off and it worked fine for me

Yes x2 on the simple green I also will take a rag to wipe down some of the crevasses. Some people say wash with the engine on I did it with the engine off and it worked fine for me

Yeah I do mine with my engine off I cover the intake with a bag and don't spray the battery or alternator directly and I leave the hood laying in the windshield and leave it for an hour or 2 in the sun

Last edited:

USMCJK

So simple green doesn't cause any damage to anything in the engine bay..?? I went mudding and cleaned out the jeep really good except the engine bay. I recently looked under the hood & noticed that there's brown stains on a lot of the components. Nothing big baked on but there's mud stains everywhere and now my belts are squeaking ALOT. Is that a result of the dried mud..? My JKU is not even a year old & the belts never squeaked before. Just wondering what's the best course of action for me..?! Thanks for any help.

BBrown626

So simple green doesn't cause any damage to anything in the engine bay..?? I went mudding and cleaned out the jeep really good except the engine bay. I recently looked under the hood & noticed that there's brown stains on a lot of the components. Nothing big baked on but there's mud stains everywhere and now my belts are squeaking ALOT. Is that a result of the dried mud..? My JKU is not even a year old & the belts never squeaked before. Just wondering what's the best course of action for me..?! Thanks for any help.

My son's car had lots of grime in the engine bay and squeaky belts. There was rubber adhering to the pulleys and tensioner. A good soaking with simple green took most of the rubber off the pulleys and tensioner. It also cleaned up the grime pretty well. His was pretty nasty so I sprayed it down good and had him drive it around the neighborhood a little while to help steam clean it. It worked very well.

I normally wash my car and jeep engine bay with simple green when washing the vehicle. Keeps them nice and clean. Never had a problem. Simple Green is easy on the gaskets and rubber.

rubicrawl

I spray wd40 before and it helps the mud not to stick on I've always done that on my dirtbikes so the mud doesn't cake on the bike cause it gets heavy and now I do that on my jeep and when you wash it everything comes off really nice just a light coat of wd40 all underneath and engine compartment you'll see works pretty cool

NAUJK

My son's car had lots of grime in the engine bay and squeaky belts. There was rubber adhering to the pulleys and tensioner. A good soaking with simple green took most of the rubber off the pulleys and tensioner. It also cleaned up the grime pretty well. His was pretty nasty so I sprayed it down good and had him drive it around the neighborhood a little while to help steam clean it. It worked very well.

I normally wash my car and jeep engine bay with simple green when washing the vehicle. Keeps them nice and clean. Never had a problem. Simple Green is easy on the gaskets and rubber.

Ill have to do this sometime. Never thought to use Simple Green to clean out the engine bay...

ScottC

Eddie, have your water pump checked. Mine did the same thing right out of the gate. It is a common problem.

USMCJK

Eddie, have your water pump checked. Mine did the same thing right out of the gate. It is a common problem.

Really...? Ok, I will. I have an appt for next Monday with the dealer for the recall. Do, I'll mention it to them.

USMCJK

I used simple green to clean out the engine bay & all I can say is... Wow. It worked wonders in the old baked on mud stains & grease stains. Plus I also sprayed down the wheel wells & it worked like a charm. Looks new.

Top Bottom