Historic Joshua Tree Sites Tagged Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It really is sad to see just how far the trash from the city will go...

Historic Joshua Tree sites blighted by city's ills
joshua.jpg

JOSHUA TREE — Along the saw-toothed ridge of Rattlesnake Canyon, crude graffiti invades the crevices that offered shade to nomadic Indians trekking across the Mojave hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago.

"Skunk,'' "oatmeal cookie" and "punx" are scribbled in black spray paint on giant, earth-crushing boulders where ancient petroglyphs may have been etched by the Serrano and Chemehuevi.

The damage goes far beyond a few lovey-dovey teenagers carving their initials into picnic tables. Vandalism in Rattlesnake Canyon and at Barker Dam, two of Joshua Tree National Park's most popular hiking spots, has been so pervasive that both sites have been closed to the public.

See the entire article here:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-joshua-tree-graffiti-20130413,0,3668905.story

It's just a matter of time before temporary closures become permanent ones.

People suck!! :naw:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
It really is sad to see just how far the trash from the city will go...

It's just a matter of time before temporary closures become permanent ones.

People suck!! :naw:

People do suck, heard this on the radio news this morning makes me sick that there are people like this out there and they get their jolly off on it.:(:mad:

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
That's complete utter bullshit! I can't believe the lack of respect some people have for our national parks and monuments. I love Joshua Tree and best believe I will regulate if the need arises next time I'm there.

Last edited:

Brian.243

I would like to stumble upon some douche bag with a paint can when I was out in the desert. It won't be long until these areas are closed so visit them now. Like inscription canyon someone jack hammered off some art out there or Mitchell's caverns where some tweaker stole all the wire and broke in to the visitor center. My family was out at rodman canyon and my 5 year old daughter found and grinding rock with the pestel sitting in it ready to use we took pictures. I hope it is still there in a few years when she is old enough to know what she found. People make me sick. Don't be a douche I am sure "we" are not the issue but don't look the other way. Sorry for the rant but I hate what has happened to so many historical and unique places.

rubicrawl

That BS I want to take my little boy to these spots one day but it doesn't seem like its going to happen with these low lifes ruining our historical parks

toys4rocks

Yea that just shows how little respect people have for anything or anyone else, it's sad that are national parks have become victims of this kinda trash. I have seen some tagging that is truly art but that was just vandalism.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I would like to stumble upon some douche bag with a paint can when I was out in the desert.

And maybe be packin' a 3-D Liberator. I'd shoot him in the can. What a$$holes!:yup:
The article states two popular hiking sites in Joshua Tree had to be closed due to excessive vandalism. That's interesting 'cause most folks think of hikers as "green" and ORV's as "brown". Idiots have no boundaries.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
its good to see that there are still good people around willing to go and clean up other idiots messes

Top Bottom