Uptravel

Bacon

Given that downtravel is really the key to most offroading (other than high speed stuff) situations, what's the minimum amount of uptravel you should run? yes, the obvious answer is whatever it takes to keep the tires out of your fenders/body, but what's the minimum amount of uptravel necessary to keep from banging on the bumpstops everywhere you go? how much are most of you running?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Given that downtravel is really the key to most offroading (other than high speed stuff) situations, what's the minimum amount of uptravel you should run? yes, the obvious answer is whatever it takes to keep the tires out of your fenders/body, but what's the minimum amount of uptravel necessary to keep from banging on the bumpstops everywhere you go? how much are most of you running?

Funny that you would say that being that most of the kits I see for TJ's, JK's or what have you all end up having shocks with a lot of shafts showing at ride height. Most end up only giving about 3" of down travel at most. If you're still banging your bump stops, you might want to try running firmer coils and shocks with valving that can do a better job at absorbing the hits.

kRay.JK

Depends on coil spring rate. I'd say you need no less than 2"-3" of up travel to still enjoy the ride on road in most cases. (Think pot holes, speed bumps, etc)

Sent from WAYALIFE iPhone app

White_JKU

I am running a 2.5" lift... basically 3". My shocks are Rancho 9000XL adjustable's fitted for a 4-6" lift which are recommended by rancho for a 3" lift.

I still have factory bump stops and have often wondered the same as the OP. my tires at 35" barely touch the fenders at full flex... although I barely have any fender left after all my cutting that I've done.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363095925.689682.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363095925.689682.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 132

PunknGladiator

Whats the "normal" amount of shaft you guys can see once you're lifted? I am in the middle of putting my BB 2.5" Teraflex kit on but with Fox Shocks with the remote reservoir and I am seeing about 4-4.5" of shaft. Is that about normal, too much, too little?

Funny that you would say that being that most of the kits I see for TJ's, JK's or what have you all end up having shocks with a lot of shafts showing at ride height. Most end up only giving about 3" of down travel at most. If you're still banging your bump stops, you might want to try running firmer coils and shocks with valving that can do a better job at absorbing the hits.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Whats the "normal" amount of shaft you guys can see once you're lifted? I am in the middle of putting my BB 2.5" Teraflex kit on but with Fox Shocks with the remote reservoir and I am seeing about 4-4.5" of shaft. Is that about normal, too much, too little?

That sounds about right for a JK with the amount of lift you have.

Top Bottom