Pentistar oil filter

Drumr90

I remember reading an artical in an off road mag that says the new motor has a paper oil filter. I was just woundering what everyone thinks about this filter.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Drumr90 said:
I remember reading an artical in an off road mag that says the new motor has a paper oil filter. I was just woundering what everyone thinks about this filter.

Makes for an easy oil change.

Drumr90

Not reall anything technical more like what people think about jeeps desician making on the paper filter.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Not reall anything technical more like what people think about jeeps desician making on the paper filter.

Like everything I am sure it has to do with saving manufacturing cost. There is probably a claim of being more environmentally friendly as well.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Paper should do fine. We used paper oil filters on the 14 stage 4400hp turbo shaft engines on the CH-53 helos I worked on in the Corps. Never once had an oil filter bypass light come on, and chip detect lights were very rare. They got changed every 200 flight hrs and are actually about the same size as the pentastar filter.

RDakota

It's paper and has been relocated to the top of the engine. Not sure about the effectiveness of the new filter (no issues I've read about) but it is much easier to change. It's also the same filter used on the Grand Cherokee the last year or so.

Indefatigable

This style has been around for a long time. Chrylser is just a bit slow to get with it. Replaceing the element rather than the whole unit is much more cost effective from a maintenance end. As I recall, most oil filters are paper, we just only see the tin can though.

nacho

This style has been around for a long time. Chrylser is just a bit slow to get with it. Replaceing the element rather than the whole unit is much more cost effective from a maintenance end. As I recall, most oil filters are paper, we just only see the tin can though.

you are correct, It is a cost savings move. Instead of a metal can with an internal element, it is just the element. Most euro cars have been this way for a decade or longer

Indefatigable

you are correct, It is a cost savings move. Instead of a metal can with an internal element, it is just the element. Most euro cars have been this way for a decade or longer

Do we blame the Germans or the Italians for this one ? :twocents:

Drumr90

No i dont think anyone is to blame lol exept those dudes with the bmw's that wear lab coats lol ha ha ha

Top Bottom