Steering seems flighty after ball joint install

Rharvey160

Last week I had sleeves, gussets, and synergy ball joints installed at a local 4x4 shop. Now it seems like the steering is a little flighty. Before the work the steering was just fine.

I called the shop asking them about it and they said the ball joints would loosen up in a few days and the flighty steering would go away. Sounds like BS to me. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks for your input.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you are feeling like your steering is sticky and wants to stay going in one direction or the other causing you to make constant correction, there could be some truth to what you're being told. New ball joints can be tight enough to cause this condition to occur. If by flighty you mean you feel like your Jeep wants to wander all over the place at highway speeds, you most likely have too little caster set and are feeling it more now that your ball joints are in good shape.

txjeeplover

Last week I had sleeves, gussets, and synergy ball joints installed at a local 4x4 shop. Now it seems like the steering is a little flighty. Before the work the steering was just fine.

I called the shop asking them about it and they said the ball joints would loosen up in a few days and the flighty steering would go away. Sounds like BS to me. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks for your input.

When I conducted my ball joint research before my purchase in December, I learned that the Synergy ball joints have an extended break-in period which discouraged me. I ended up going with Alloy joints because they were supposed to have a shorter break-in period, but that was a HUGE mistake.

After the initial installation of the Alloy joints, my Jeep was flighty, the return-to-center disappeared (came back after 100 miles), and generally felt unsafe. I had two alignments, tire balance and rotation, installed new tie rods, and made various other adjustments. Eventually I gave up on the Alloys and after 1,800 miles, I switched over to Moog. My Jeep has never driven this smooth!

Rharvey160

If you are feeling like your steering is sticky and wants to stay going in one direction or the other causing you to make constant correction, there could be some truth to what you're being told. New ball joints can be tight enough to cause this condition to occur. If by flighty you mean you feel like your Jeep wants to wander all over the place at highway speeds, you most likely have too little caster set and are feeling it more now that your ball joints are in good shape.

It does seem more like your first example. I'm all over the place going slow. Once up to highway speed it handles OK. If it doesn't get better after awhile I'll take it in and have the caster checked and if neccessary get different ball joints. I suppose I should have bought the Dynatrec ball joints from the start. Once again, save a dime, loose a dollar.

Thanks for your help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It does seem more like your first example. I'm all over the place going slow. Once up to highway speed it handles OK. If it doesn't get better after awhile I'll take it in and have the caster checked and if neccessary get different ball joints. I suppose I should have bought the Dynatrec ball joints from the start. Once again, save a dime, loose a dollar.

Thanks for your help.

If it handles okay at highway speed, they'll get better once they've broken in. Just may take a bit to get there.

Rharvey160

When I conducted my ball joint research before my purchase in December, I learned that the Synergy ball joints have an extended break-in period which discouraged me. I ended up going with Alloy joints because they were supposed to have a shorter break-in period, but that was a HUGE mistake.

After the initial installation of the Alloy joints, my Jeep was flighty, the return-to-center disappeared (came back after 100 miles), and generally felt unsafe. I had two alignments, tire balance and rotation, installed new tie rods, and made various other adjustments. Eventually I gave up on the Alloys and after 1,800 miles, I switched over to Moog. My Jeep has never driven this smooth!

I may wind up in the same boat as you. I'm going to give them a week or two and see what happens. It's not so bad that it feels dangerous. I just don't like the way it steers now. If I drive with both hands on the wheel like you are supposed to it isn't as bad as one handed driving.

Thanks for your responce.

Smokinjoe

If it handles okay at highway speed, they'll get better once they've broken in. Just may take a bit to get there.

I know they sell a lot of Synergy BJ but I do not see any Negative feed back so I guess they work for $200 a set, but Synergy BJ better that stock BJ? also not aware of break in process.

I will be changing my JK ball joint out soon so been looking at Synergy. I like Dynatrack but they are $500 a set

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know they sell a lot of Synergy BJ but I do not see any Negative feed back so I guess they work for $200 a set, but Synergy BJ better that stock BJ? also not aware of break in process.

I will be changing my JK ball joint out soon so been looking at Synergy. I like Dynatrack but they are $500 a set

The Synergy BJ's are exactly the same as the Alloy USA ones. Don't believe me, hold one of each in your hands and tell me if you can see or feel a difference. In fact, after Alloy USA came out with theirs, Synergy had to lower their prices to match them. Either way, they work but, you will find that they provide the handling feel that the OP is talking about and it sticks around until they wear in a bit. Not trying to dog on them but, it is what it is. Most people never talk about it in the open because most don't like to admit they've chosen to buy something they aren't really happy with.

As far as Dyantrac ball joints go, they are expensive but they literally will be the last set of ball joints you will ever need to buy.

Another difference is that the ProSteer ball joints have a different method of operation. OE and other popular cheaper joints have a bottom joint that pivots and a top joint that allows up and down motion but does not pivot. The Dynatrac ball joints have a bottom joint that allows pivoting movement and a top joint that goes up and down AND pivots. This helps keep the ball joints aligned with each other without binding. Bent end forgings (axle C's) are all too common on JK's and, this additional function of the Dynatrac top joint is a critical part of ball joint longevity.

Last but not least, Dynatrac ProSteer's are made right here in the US and while this may make their cost higher, you are sure to get a product with much higher quality control.

dhughes

Banned
I installed a set of alloy ball joints a few weeks ago and they made the jeep drive really bad. Now I have a little over 500 miles on them and it does feel better but not like it should. I hope after another 500 or so they get better.

Holeshot

Banned
Be aware.

I have seen brand new balljoint installed on a used jk at the shop, I don't really know how it happened, but they were loose. I mean REALLY loose, right after the install. Maybe the guy did something wrong during the install, but the jeep was still on the lift that he replaced the new BJ again for another set. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Be aware.

I have seen brand new balljoint installed on a used jk at the shop, I don't really know how it happened, but they were loose. I mean REALLY loose, right after the install. Maybe the guy did something wrong during the install, but the jeep was still on the lift that he replaced the new BJ again for another set. :thinking:

What the OP and others are experiencing is very common with brand new Alloy USA or Synergy ball joints.

jeeeep

Hooked
I was about to pull the trigger on Synergy now I'm thinking spend a few extra bucks and can use them when I upgrade to PR44. My allocated upgrade $$$ keep getting smaller fast!
Get the Dynatrac BJ and front or rear axle shafts?

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Wanted to bump this thread.

Taking Eddies advice, I just had c gussets and ball joints installed. Jeep is 1 year old, but only 3600 miles on it. Didn't have problems with bent c's or bad ball joints but thought it would be a great idea to fix the problem before it actually occurs. I used alloy ball joints because Amazon had a great deal on them and they are sexy red. :) I did not buy the dynatrac units because that will come when I get the prorock.

So, like Eddie said, I have the exact problem in the OP. Ball joints are very tight and that slows down the response time. If you turn right, then center, the jeep will want to go right for an extra second before going straight. It's almost like a delay in the steering. Everything I have read seems to point to the fact that this is 100% normal and will go away as the metal rounds out Inside the ball joint. The feel however is excellent. Nice and tight with zero slop, a vast improvement over stock.

aaronstephen

Wanted to bump this thread.

Taking Eddies advice, I just had c gussets and ball joints installed. Jeep is 1 year old, but only 3600 miles on it. Didn't have problems with bent c's or bad ball joints but thought it would be a great idea to fix the problem before it actually occurs. I used alloy ball joints because Amazon had a great deal on them and they are sexy red. :) I did not buy the dynatrac units because that will come when I get the prorock.

So, like Eddie said, I have the exact problem in the OP. Ball joints are very tight and that slows down the response time. If you turn right, then center, the jeep will want to go right for an extra second before going straight. It's almost like a delay in the steering. Everything I have read seems to point to the fact that this is 100% normal and will go away as the metal rounds out Inside the ball joint. The feel however is excellent. Nice and tight with zero slop, a vast improvement over stock.

any update on these? just curious how they have help up over the past few months..

warnabrother

I've had Alloys in mine for a few thousand miles now and they still have that shitty feel to them..
Dynatracs will be their replacement..

Rharvey160

After a month or so the steering was fine in my 2012. It was great clear up to when it traded it in with a little less than 30K miles.

I had the Synergy ball joints put in my 2014 and never had any trouble with the steering right from the start. I have a little less than 8K miles on it and everything is nice and tight.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I've had Alloys in mine for a few thousand miles now and they still have that shitty feel to them..
Dynatracs will be their replacement..

You won't go wrong with the Dynatracs! They've been in my Jeep since it had ~50mi on the odometer and it's nice not having to worry about ball joints!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
any update on these? just curious how they have help up over the past few months..

Figured I'd update. After taking a cross country trip and getting the mileage up to 11K, I can say all is well, steering is normal, and Jeep drives great. No complaints at all. I would say steering returned to normal after around 1000 miles or so. The key isn't mileage. Some guys that drive 95% highway might take a lot longer than a city guy because it's not the mileage that matters, but the constant turning back and forth, since that's what rounds out the metal. To me it only makes sense. If your balljoint is metal, and it is nice and tight, it will have to be a little stiff on the steering until it wears in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom