couple issues

JK1

flexed out my jeep the other day just to see if everything cleared with new shocks and brake lines.... i have 3.5 RK springs.. the bilsteins hit the frame in the front on both sides someone said you can get re locaters to fix that is there any down side to these?? also tore my boot on the front drive shaft it looks like it hit the cross member just in front of the exhaust y pipe i believe that is what tore it my question is if i take that cross member out what are the cons

thanks
matt
flex1.jpg
flex2.jpg
IMG-20130414-00165.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
flexed out my jeep the other day just to see if everything cleared with new shocks and brake lines.... i have 3.5 RK springs.. the bilsteins hit the frame in the front on both sides someone said you can get re locaters to fix that is there any down side to these?? also tore my boot on the front drive shaft it looks like it hit the cross member just in front of the exhaust y pipe i believe that is what tore it my question is if i take that cross member out what are the cons

thanks
matt

The shocks making some contact with the frame rails is pretty common and not really a problem unless they are hitting so hard as to cause them to bend. You can install outboard shock relocation mounts but, I wouldn't recommend it unless they are welded on as you will be putting a lot of stress on what is essentially a cantilevered bolt extension. Depending on what year your Jeep is, you shaft more likely made contact with the lip of your transmission than it did the skid bar or skid plate. The best way to prevent this is to install an aftermarket drive shaft. A good 1310 like what JE Reel or Coast makes is what I would recommend.

Prime8

My Double D flexes so well that I got the frame rail ON TOP of the shock. Luckily the frame rail is rounded so it slid out... Eddie, am I going to destroy these shocks?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366120616.293034.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My Double D flexes so well that I got the frame rail ON TOP of the shock. Luckily the frame rail is rounded so it slid out... Eddie, am I going to destroy these shocks?

If that happens enough times, damage to the shocks is very possible. I don't know if they still make it but, AEV used to have an outboard axle relocation mount. Again, I personally would prefer something that gets welded on or something that is reinforced better but, this might be a better solution than nothing.

Prime8

If that happens enough times, damage to the shocks is very possible. I don't know if they still make it but, AEV used to have an outboard axle relocation mount. Again, I personally would prefer something that gets welded on or something that is reinforced better but, this might be a better solution than nothing.

Hmmm... Might have to start budgeting for front bolt on coilovers sooner than I thought...

TacPen

Banned
Hmmm... Might have to start budgeting for front bolt on coilovers sooner than I thought...

Brings up a question I've been wondering about, is it worth getting just front coilovers or if you're going to do it should you do all four at once?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Brings up a question I've been wondering about, is it worth getting just front coilovers or if you're going to do it should you do all four at once?

I know you think I'm just a sponsored tool that only gives out biased opinions but, to answer your question, it can be worth it especially if you're just looking for more flex. If you're looking for an improved ride at high speeds, having front coil overs installed will only get you wanting rears sooner than later.

BEE'S TWIN

I know you think I'm just a sponsored tool that only gives out biased opinions but, to answer your question, it can be worth it especially if you're just looking for more flex. If you're looking for an improved ride at high speeds, having front coil overs installed will only get you wanting rears sooner than later.

Hey Eddie, I know I have talked to you before bout the coilovers.. You have any experience with the fox coilovers and the synergy F/R mounts for them... Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie, I know I have talked to you before bout the coilovers.. You have any experience with the fox coilovers and the synergy F/R mounts for them... Thanks

I don't have any experience with either as I had never run coil overs on my TJ. I don't know how things are now but, coil overs were squirrelly on pavement and only really started to get really good for highway use when the JK came out.

JK1

so for future refrence when i go to coilovers on my D44 does the coilover kit relocate the upper or lower point because if i cant clear my shocks i certianly cant clear coilovers or maybe I'm just confused cuz that happens alot :yup:

also Prime8 synergy makes a kit for $78 to relocate the shock out on the axle side... pry make them for alot less

Silly question but I am going to ask anyway. With a 2.5 in lift and sway bars disconnected do I need to install longer brake lines? If so how much longer?

JK1

i would just put brakeline extensions on (its a small bracket that moves your mount point on the frame down a few inches) to get buy but if you plan on going higher in the future your gonna need brakelines:twocents:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Silly question but I am going to ask anyway. With a 2.5 in lift and sway bars disconnected do I need to install longer brake lines? If so how much longer?

no but it doesnt hurt to throw them on to give you that extra buffer.

TheDuff

A lot of 2.5" lifts only come with rear drop brackets. Imo u should purchase some fronts also, its just cheap insurance. I can tell u from experience that the front lines with no drop bracket will be stretched at full flex with the wheel at full lock, its scary looking. Of course if u have the funds, new lines are even better:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Not a silly question. As mentioned, you don't need longer lines but, you will want to install a rear set of drop brackets. Up front, you will be fine.

Top Bottom