2 Minute $10 Sway Bar Disconnect Project

1yellowjk

So I have been looking for a cheap and easy way to do a quick sway bar disconnect. I have see people use pinned sleaves, drill bolts and such...here is my addition and it only cost $10 and is reversable.

Step 1. Go to Home Depot and look in the bolt section for the Bolt and pin pictured....about $3 each.

Step 2. Drill out your sway bar ends just a hair to fit...I took a bolt from the sway bar to match sizes as best I could. Not sure on the exact bit size, but it was just a hair bigger. Make sure you use some WD40 or water as to not heat up the rubber bushing when drilling.

Step 3. Insert pin/bolt thing where bolt went and secure with carter pin thingy

Step 4. Be awesome and have the ability to disconnect quickly and cheaply.
(I am still looking for a way to secure the bar without using zip ties/bungy cords )

Enjoy.

Attachments

• Step 1 Pin.jpg
    Step 1 Pin.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 205
  • step 2 remove bolt.jpg
    step 2 remove bolt.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 207
  • step 3 drill center put in bolt.jpg
    step 3 drill center put in bolt.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Step 4 be awesome.jpg
    Step 4 be awesome.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 207

1yellowjk

I like the idea ... have you had them on long? how do they hold up?

I did it this weekend after being to lazy to disconnect to hit the RTI ramp, I see no reason why they shouldn't hold up.

I will add some washers like billybob said. Not a huge stress point while cruising the street and once you hit the trail you can disconnect it about 30 seconds.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! This is what we used to do back on our TJ. I even did a write-up for it way back in the day:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/homediscos.html

It works but it is noisy and, you do need to keep an eye on the head of the clevis pins as over time, they will wear out and can allow the pin to fall out.

1yellowjk

LOL!! This is what we used to do back on our TJ. I even did a write-up for it way back in the day:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/homediscos.html

It works but it is noisy and, you do need to keep an eye on the head of the clevis pins as over time, they will wear out and can allow the pin to fall out.

Nice!

Why was yours noisy? How tight did your pin fit?

I kind of figured the head might wear over time...I think that maybe a good non-metal washer woud keep the wear factor down. For under $10 and not having to use a 18mm wrench everytime I want to disconnect I will deal with replacing a $3 pin once a year or so. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice!

Why was yours noisy? How tight did your pin fit?

I kind of figured the head might wear over time...I think that maybe a good non-metal washer woud keep the wear factor down. For under $10 and not having to use a 18mm wrench everytime I want to disconnect I will deal with replacing a $3 pin once a year or so. :)

We were doing this way back in the day, over 10 years ago at least. I had it on tight. In fact, to help ensure a tight fit, I eventually got a thicker pin and ground it down till it just fit into the mounting hole. Still, it clicked around. It works but, I went on to try just about every other style of sway bar disconnect made at the time. In the end, I found that bolting it and unbolting it as needed is what I ultimately preferred. But, that's just me. :yup:

TheDuff

You can buy the teraflex hardware separate to secure the bar once disconnected. Or just look at their bracket and diy:) 1366224811920.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You can buy the teraflex hardware separate to secure the bar once disconnected. Or just look at their bracket and diy:) View attachment 25225

i wonder if you can just get the bracket. im not very hands on with some stuff so buysing it would be a little easier lol. would make life easy for hanging my JKS quick discos up

TheDuff

And I will share a lil secret. The links for 0-3" of lift in the full kit are the exact same length as stock rear links. Just tap the metal sleeve out from the bushing at one end and put a dab of grease to slide onto the studs in this hardware kit:D

RockyJk

And I will share a lil secret. The links for 0-3" of lift in the full kit are the exact same length as stock rear links. Just tap the metal sleeve out from the bushing at one end and put a dab of grease to slide onto the studs in this hardware kit:D

I tried taking that metal sleeve out and was unsuccessful :(

Asgard

I did this and hated how rattley it was on every single little bump in the road. Ended up putting up the money for a JKS set, love them!

Top Bottom