going to 4.56. hope it's better choice than 4.88...

tkkim

my jk is 2012.

I have 34" tire and will go 35" later.

I really thought about between 34" and 35", but I'm not hard core rock crawler person and I like road trip + moderate off road.

so I choose 4.56 instead 4.88 for better for freeway and good torque too..

did I make right decision? the shop recommend me 4.88... but almost 3k rpm at 70mph..

how do you guys think?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Auto or stick? It makes all the difference as to which you have and what gears will work for your jeep

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Here is a chart Eddie provided us in the movie write up he has on gear ratios. Like I said it depends on your tranny as to which will work best.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366147861.174259.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Holeshot

Banned
IMHO, If you have a 2012, 3.6L, and has 3.73 ratio, you should be just fine for every day use and moderate trails. Just stick to it. This is what I got on mine, and the only complain I have is that it is too fast for rock crawling with a standart tranny. If you have an auto, it'll be just fine as well.

BUT, if you have 3.21 ratio, you better upgrade.

Rivertoys

3:73 and 32 is middle green. 4:56 and 34 is in the blue.

I have done all the homework I'm going to do on this subject, and I will be going to 4:56. I do too much Frwy (even to get to mountains, deserts, and trails) and I personally think 4:88 will be too much for more or less daily driving.

Having a manual tranny, the 3:73 is not terrible. I have pretty much lost use of 6th gear, but it's not a big deal.

Holeshot

Banned
Having a manual tranny, the 3:73 is not terrible. I have pretty much lost use of 6th gear, but it's not a big deal.

heh? :thinking:

I have 3,73 with 35's and manual tranny on my 2012. The 3.6 is not affraid of those 35 at all. I drive the 6th gear on the highway over 90 km/h (55mph). I'm around 2000 rpm at 60 mph and its just fine.

Rivertoys

heh? :thinking:

I have 3,73 with 35's and manual tranny on my 2012. The 3.6 is not affraid of those 35 at all. I drive the 6th gear on the highway over 90 km/h (55mph). I'm around 2000 rpm at 60 mph and its just fine.

I think my 3.8 makes less power than your 3.6. I use 6th, on really flat ground.... Or a slight downgrade. I wouldn't call it just fine though. But that's subjective too...

Holeshot

Banned
I think my 3.8 makes less power than your 3.6. I use 6th, on really flat ground.... Or a slight downgrade. I wouldn't call it just fine though. But that's subjective too...

ok well, I was assuming you also had a 3.6 since the OP was talking about a '12. ;)

Dave_g

I got the 3.6L and 4.10's on 35's. When I move up to 37's for the next set of shoes I will be re-gearing to 4.56 because I am scared of the 4.88's. In my old Cj2a I had as a teenager, I didn't have to worry about any of that, had 5 somethings on 33" tires in the Dana 30 front and Dana 41 rear... Only 55ish horsepower from the old 134 L head... 65 downhill with the overdrive though.

Top Bottom