I have made the decision

Helipilot2

I am officially saving the money to sell/trade my Bronco in for a Jeep. I deeply love my Bronco but have come to the understanding that a Jeep will go many more places than a full size. I guess I get to start learning what all this YJ, TJ, and any other Js mean haha :bleh:

Ben-0

Haha I had yj then a 78 full size bronco 460 39' boggers then works, loved it...but loved the jeep more, now I have a jk

Helipilot2

New guy question haha, I want one of the long wheel base 2 doors if possible. What model and year do I need to be looking for? From what I see is I am looking at about $10,000 for a low mile jeep with a lift already on it.

Helipilot2

I tend to find a lot of the 4 cylinders when looking for jeeps, in my short run of playing with jeeps I always found the 6 cylinder to be a little more reliable and the extra power to be quite helpful. opinions?

I have read a couple of threads here about purchasing a used jeep already lifted. One point keep coming up is was the lift installed correctly. Here is my humble opinion, look for a TJ or JK which has not been lifted and has been a daily driver. This will allow you to mod it the way you want. Also you will know where the it has been. Getting one lifted may have been driven rough and you might be opening a can of headaches. I found a 2011 JK with 14k miles on it and was never off road. It was a daily driver. I have begun my build on it. If you do go with a used lifted Jeep inspect the undercarriage. This will tell a lot about where it has been. Again this is just my humble opinion.

Welcom to WAYALIFE.
Will

Muzzie

I tend to find a lot of the 4 cylinders when looking for jeeps, in my short run of playing with jeeps I always found the 6 cylinder to be a little more reliable and the extra power to be quite helpful. opinions?

As others have stated, 04-06 Unlimited TJ aka LJ jeeps are what you should look into for a factory jeep with a longer wheel base.

I've done some long drives and light wheeling in a 4 cyl. standard TJ, and I was not impressed by it...(was a friend's ride). We had some really severe headwinds out in west texas and it actually forced me to downshift when going up inclines on the highway. I'd say you should def. look for a 6 cyl. if at all possible...I run an 06" LJ with a 6 cyl 4.0L and it has quite a bit of get-up at the low end, even with 33s and no re-gear and it rides fine at the high end on the highway as well. :thumb:

StrizzyChris

Had both the 6 and the 4. Go with the 6 cyl.

x2...Had both and I will NEVER go with a 4cyl anything other than a small commuter car or maybe an S10

People are stretching the 2 door jk's now if your looking for the wheel base of a 4 door with out the extra doors. You can see this setup in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrVxkvsHdoA&feature=youtube_gdata_player and plenty of info around on the build if you Google around for Vengeance JK, pretty sweet how its on 40's sitting only 1" higher than stock. View attachment 25184

I agree whole heartedly with this recommendation EXCEPT it is completely unrealistic with a 25K budget let alone a 10K like the OP has. But man do I wish I had Vengeance :rock:

Helipilot2

What seems like a fair price for a 100,000 mile or less jeep? I found a complete built YJ for $7000. Not sure if I want to touch someone elses mess though lol

TheStick

I think you will have a hard time finding a decent LJ for $10K. Those things have really held their value! I guess there aren't too many and people really like them, they are cool.

I would look for a TJ with the 4.0. My dad picked up a really clean '99 with low miles for $7K. That would leave you some room for mods. :beer:

Last edited:

Helipilot2

I think you will have a hard time finding a decent LJ for $10K. Those things have really held their value! I guess there aren't too many and people really like them, they are cool.

I would look for a TJ with the 4.0. My dad picked up a really clean '99 with low miles for $7K. That would leave you some room for mods. :beer:

What does your dad average for mpg with the 4.0? I have the Bronco getting 8mpg which costs me $80 a week in gas. If I can justify that the jeep will save me a good amount of gas money I can afford a payment. Otherwise I have to wait until I can pay cash. I figure I can get 3k for the Bronco which means 7k to go........ Don't know if the Bronco will make it that long before the front end and drivelines fall apart

Top Bottom