How worth c-guesset?

StrizzyChris

A mod that I had done within the first week of owning my JK. Wouldnt own a JK, with larger than stock 32" tires, without them :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing personal but, I'm no fan of trusses. It may not be the case with yours but, more times than not, I have seen where axles are bent because of them getting installed and this is regardless of who did the install. Aside from gussets, I personally wouldn't choose to spend any more money on beefing up a factory axle than needed. Better to just play with what you got until you can afford to upgrade. But again, that's just me.

Ok here comes silly question of the day. I have heard all about c gussets, now what are they and how does it help?

Newbie:thinking:

BlackKnight

Ok here comes silly question of the day. I have heard all about c gussets, now what are they and how does it help?

Newbie:thinking:

They are a weld on reienforcement of the outer "C"s on the front Axle. The "C" is a one of the weak links when it comes to the strength of the axle, but is one of the easiest to compensate for. Basically most of the Gussets are just plate steel that is welded to each of the upper and lower sections of the "C" to strengthen it from bending.

Ass seen below the outer black section of the axle, in this case already has a gusset on it..
Outer C.jpg

Last edited:
They are a weld on reienforcement of the outer "C"s on the front Axle. The "C" is a one of the weak links when it comes to the strength of the axle, but is one of the easiest to compensate for. Basically most of the Gussets are just plate steel that is welded to each of the upper and lower sections of the "C" to strengthen it from bending.

Ok now it makes sense.:doh: thank you for clarifying this for me. I now see the light.:bowdown:

BlackKnight

Is it a good idea to get them powder coated? or is leaving them a bare metal ok?

Bare metal Never OK under your jeep, "rattle can" (at the least) everything under there that is bare metal always...

And as Overlander mentioned, you can't powder them as you have to weld them on, Unless your powder coating the entire assembly which would be a pain to do...

Top Bottom