My Transmission on my 2010 JKU is Dead

jelliott076

I just brought my 2010 JK into the shop yesterday to have the transmission filters and oil changed. So today on the way home from work the (automatic) transmission started slipping intermintantly at freeway speeds. It did this like three or four times before it gave way entirely. I assumed immediately the dealership had messed something up and had it towed back into them. Their initial diagnosis was that something in the tranny had broken, then later they called me back with a $4000 replace or rebuild option. WTF? Is this normal for a 2010 that's been used as much as mine? I haven't done that many crazy trails with it and the only thing I can think is the Supercharger's re-programming of the shift points screwed something up. Ever since I put the RIPP in the shifting action was a little rough, but not that bad.

I want to raise the Bull S*** flag but don't know enough about JK transmissions and RIPP Superchargers to do it intelligently.

Well knowing nothing about the RIPP / transmission relationship I unfortunately can off nothing to that issue. However, I do know when something SUCKS ASS and this here does just that! How long has your RIPP been in your JK?

Brankz

My when is in P and I shifted to D it makes a electrical noise for 1 or 2 sec. Do I have to worry?

Branks ...
WAYALIFE mobile app

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I would touch base with RIPP Tech's and run the situation by them to see what they have to say. Sounds kind of fishy that it went out after the service. I don't know that I would let the Stealer do any work on it. May be better to pick up another low mile used one.

jelliott076

Well knowing nothing about the RIPP / transmission relationship I unfortunately can off nothing to that issue. However, I do know when something SUCKS ASS and this here does just that! How long has your RIPP been in your JK?

The RIPP has been in for about a year. The whole system uses a Diablo Predator programmer which is like a SuperChip on steroids.

I would touch base with RIPP Tech's and run the situation by them to see what they have to say. Sounds kind of fishy that it went out after the service. I don't know that I would let the Stealer do any work on it. May be better to pick up another low mile used one.

I'm actually going with both of those options but the Stealer (love that nickname!) has to do the install as I have neither the time or knowledge base.
If she were a '67 Chevy Nova I'd have a new tranny in there in four hours, but the JK is a bit more complex.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that totally sucks but unfortunately, your dealership has got all the aces in their hand. Even if it were to be something they did, you have a supercharger installed and all they have to do is point to it as being the cause. Sure you can try fighting it but, it'll be an uphill battle and will most certainly result in your VIN getting flagged. I wish I could offer better news but, at this point and time, I might try to keep your cool, talk to the service advisor, find out exactly what went wrong and go from there. Maybe you can glen some information to help you make a case but again, try your best to keep your cool.

jelliott076

Man, that totally sucks but unfortunately, your dealership has got all the aces in their hand. Even if it were to be something they did, you have a supercharger installed and all they have to do is point to it as being the cause. Sure you can try fighting it but, it'll be an uphill battle and will most certainly result in your VIN getting flagged. I wish I could offer better news but, at this point and time, I might try to keep your cool, talk to the service advisor, find out exactly what went wrong and go from there. Maybe you can glen some information to help you make a case but again, try your best to keep your cool.

I've been on the phone with the Service Advisor all day. He did say the engine mod's and computer could have contributed, but he didn't think it was the sole cause. This is infuriating! The JK is a 2010 and I haven't kicked the snot out of her that bad!

Explain how fighting the dealer could flag the vin? I'm not going to fight it...too much..but I've didn't know that was possible. I do need to haggle the price down; $4800 is the labor and parts. Who has that laying around this time of year?
:mad: :mad: :doh:

The worst part is I'll be driving the wife's honda to meet up on Thursday :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been on the phone with the Service Advisor all day. He did say the engine mod's and computer could have contributed, but he didn't think it was the sole cause. This is infuriating! The JK is a 2010 and I haven't kicked the snot out of her that bad!

Explain how fighting the dealer could flag the vin? I'm not going to fight it...too much..but I've didn't know that was possible. I do need to haggle the price down; $4800 is the labor and parts. Who has that laying around this time of year?
:mad: :mad: :doh:

The worst part is I'll be driving the wife's honda to meet up on Thursday :cheesy:

Honestly, I'd be mad as hell. If you didn't have the RIPP installed, you probably could have written a letter to Chrysler and got them to help out. Hell, you probably still could but doing so would alert them to you having a RIPP and that could void any future warranty work you might try to get done. Of course, if you don't care about getting warranty work done, I would give it a try. An old school letter mailed into Chrysler can do a lot to help your cause.

jelliott076

Honestly, I'd be mad as hell. If you didn't have the RIPP installed, you probably could have written a letter to Chrysler and got them to help out. Hell, you probably still could but doing so would alert them to you having a RIPP and that could void any future warranty work you might try to get done. Of course, if you don't care about getting warranty work done, I would give it a try. An old school letter mailed into Chrysler can do a lot to help your cause.

So I unzipped my fly, called Chrysler and spoke with Jeep's Help Desk. The first gentleman I spoke with stated the super charger would have NO effect on the warranty and that I as a second onwer did in fact have a valid warrany.

The dealership disagreed and has gone as far as to photograph my rig head to toe and send those off to their Area Manager stating they intended to nullify my warranty. In the same sentence the Service Advisor pretty much admitted his technician had used a vacuum to remove the transmission fluid through the dipstick rather than pulling off the pan. Chrysler specifically stated that if the fluid change had been done in ths manner that there was a very high likelyhood that it was cause a failure due to the dirt and muck clogging up the systems cooler. This is exactly what happened.

Answer me this: What kind of BS Customer service is that? I'm done with these guys as soon as my JK is back together and working. I went in to have a preventative maintenance performed (simply swapping engine and tranny fluids and filters) and now I have to replace what used to be a perfectly good tranny. :mad:

jelliott076

...and still the worst part is: My rig will NEVER be the same. I know from experience that once you start messing with the guts of a vehicle it changes the whole dynamic of how it works. I've got my fingers crossed and am praying to the Gods of the Open Road that it doesn't have any follow on issues.

jeeeep

Hooked
so is it covered under warranty? pic or not, if Chrysler service told you it was still warranty and they did the service incorrectly I'd fight it.

Also use the power of social media.

jelliott076

so is it covered under warranty? pic or not, if Chrysler service told you it was still warranty and they did the service incorrectly I'd fight it.

Also use the power of social media.

I'm waiting to find out. Chrysler did say it was ultimately up to the dealer who is not playing nice. I'm not entirely willing to part with $4800 and I'm certain they know their tech screwed up. Whether they are willing to work with me at all is what I'm fighting for. That's a bunch of money to give away.

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
...and still the worst part is: My rig will NEVER be the same. I know from experience that once you start messing with the guts of a vehicle it changes the whole dynamic of how it works. I've got my fingers crossed and am praying to the Gods of the Open Road that it doesn't have any follow on issues.

I think you're living JK owners worst nightmare. All the best in your negotiations with the dealer.:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I unzipped my fly, called Chrysler and spoke with Jeep's Help Desk. The first gentleman I spoke with stated the super charger would have NO effect on the warranty and that I as a second onwer did in fact have a valid warrany.

The dealership disagreed and has gone as far as to photograph my rig head to toe and send those off to their Area Manager stating they intended to nullify my warranty. In the same sentence the Service Advisor pretty much admitted his technician had used a vacuum to remove the transmission fluid through the dipstick rather than pulling off the pan. Chrysler specifically stated that if the fluid change had been done in ths manner that there was a very high likelyhood that it was cause a failure due to the dirt and muck clogging up the systems cooler. This is exactly what happened.

Answer me this: What kind of BS Customer service is that? I'm done with these guys as soon as my JK is back together and working. I went in to have a preventative maintenance performed (simply swapping engine and tranny fluids and filters) and now I have to replace what used to be a perfectly good tranny. :mad:

Wow. That just totally sucks. I didn't know your dealership didn't pull the tranny pan to service it. :naw: I had a feeling they would try to flag your Jeep and unfortunately, if they do, you're fight just got a lot harder. While I have no doubts that you can fight it and win, it'll take more effort with a flag in place and even if you win, I don't they would be too happy to work on your Jeep if you know what I mean. I wish you the best of luck on this.

Firespyer

Did they warn you prior to vacuuming out the fluid?
I went in for similar maintenance a few years back to a independent mechanic. He pulled the dipstick and told me if I wanted the fluid changed he would have to do the same thing, and that it could have the same result. If they didn't warn you ahead of time of the risks you should not be responsible for the outcome.

jeeeep

Hooked
hmmm sounds like a good opportunity for a Jeep rally/ slow drive by where all Jeeps have signs something like... "(Dealership name) serviced (your name)'s transmission improperly, ruined it and now won't accept responsibility!"
get the attention of the local news...Dealerships hate bad publicity...
Let them know what you plan to do before to "help" them think about it...

BlackKnight

So from what I read. The vehicle manufacturer has stated that you are covered, they have also stated that vacuming the oil up the dipstick will damage the trany. The Stealership has made a case to void your warentee, even after their Service manager has now stated that they used a vacume to suck it out the dipstick.

So it comes to this, Prepare for Court, or at the least make sure the Stealership knows your preparing for court. Make sure you have a statement from Chrysler, Demand a statemtnt frrom the service managet (in writing) stating that the trans oil was vacumed up the dipstick. and make sure the jacka$$ manager of the stealership knows your gathering this info. and if asked tell him your lawyer is preparing a civil case, and makeing a descision wether to go to the District Attourny on a criminal charges (4K$ mistake and then trying to cancel your warrentee not to pay for their mistake is grand larceny).

And I would definately warn anyone you know, and us here which Stealership did this and not to go any where near them..

TheDuff

Hey dude, what dealer was this? (Pretty sure I already know) if u don't want to type it here, pm me

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom