2013 JKUR Clearance Question

Mallard8767

Alright... so I have my 2013 JKUR, now I need to get it ready for a sand rally coming up in 2 weeks.

My current plan is (phase 1 cheap and simple):
TF 2.5 BB w/ extensions
15x8 level 8 trackers
35x12.50x15 MTRs

Anyone know if I should be all right clearance wise? The rear pinch is trimmed from factory I believe but the Rubi rails look like they will be close.

Thanks
Jonathan

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mallard8767

Also, the trackers are -19 (3.75). The BB is a spacer lift not spring lift.

Anyone running 35 MTRs on stock 2012/2013 4.10s? How's the power loss?

Finally, anyone think I shouldn't put 35s on the JKUR before it has at least 1000 miles?

Lol so many questions...

simonjk

Caught the Bug
I have a 10 jkr. I ran a bb first and put 35s on. I was fine for clearance. I have heard of people trimming the rubi rails to be in the safe side. But on mine i did not. Maybe someone else will chime in

I have a 2.5BB and 35's on mine now with cut fenders. Only place I rub is on rails in the rear. Also my rig should be getting DTD next week and I will have a BB kit for sale :)

You can see its not that bad.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366261612.208965.jpg

StrizzyChris

with that backspacing you should be fine with the tires and the lift should allow you plenty of clearance, but you may have to trim your lower air dam(or just remove it). Also you shouldnt have issues with rubbing since you'll be on sand and its unlikely that you'll be articulating the suspension full cycle.

bl17z90

Arn't some people having issues with certain 15 inch wheels? I feel like I heard somewhere that they bought 15's and couldn't fit them on around the brake assembly

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Arn't some people having issues with certain 15 inch wheels? I feel like I heard somewhere that they bought 15's and couldn't fit them on around the brake assembly

Yes, some 15" aluminum wheels are too thick and will not allow your brake calipers to clear. Steel wheels seem to be okay. Either way, I personally would recommend sticking with 17"

Mallard8767

Yes, some 15" aluminum wheels are too thick and will not allow your brake calipers to clear. Steel wheels seem to be okay. Either way, I personally would recommend sticking with 17"

I have seen you recommend 17s before. If they clear ok, any other real negatives to 15s? I know they wont be as stable on road due to large side walls.

FoxC

With 17's you will leave yourself far more options down the road if you choose to change tires and or go up in size. I might be wrong, but I believe the 35 MTR's in 15" are C rated and have a history of balancing issues....again, not 100% on that, but you might want to check into it. 17" wheels just look right on a jku...but thats just an opinion.

StrizzyChris

I have seen you recommend 17s before. If they clear ok, any other real negatives to 15s? I know they wont be as stable on road due to large side walls.

I know this was a WOL directed question, but ill put my input on the wheels. 15's are fine, as long as they have the needed clearance as mentioned above. They also have a HUGE aftermarket support of tires. 15's and 17's are the most all around cheap and supported wheel size for offroad tires. I like to adhere to the 1/2 ratio of sidewall to wheel size to allow airing down benefits while maintaining strength and reducing excessive off camber roll.(i.e. 15" wheel on a 28"-32" tire, 17 wheel on a 32-37", or 20 wheel on a 37"-42" If you upgrade steering components in the future, then clearance my become an issue and you may need to upgrade at that time. Also I like how open the wheel "core" is to self clean.

Top Bottom