Blot stuck

Ben-0

So I was going to change the fluid in my transfer case today so I put it on the lift and put the impact on the bolts to take the skid off, all come off fine other than the passenger side it got about 3/4 of the way off and wouldn't move, either way tighten or loosen. So I didn't really have to much time to mess with it so I changed the fluid and put anti seize on the others and tightened everything else back up.
The air impact was on the highest setting also so now what? I live on a farm an we have a much bigger air impact but I'm afraid that it will literally break the bolt in 1/2....any suggestions?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, at this point and time, breaking it off or cutting it off might be your only choice. Once the head is off, you can drill out the rest and then re-tap it.

Ben-0

I know I could use a reverse drill bit what ever you want to call them and either try to re tap it or maybe it will catch and unscrew it...isn't the gas tank right there to so heating and/or welding are a little sketchy

TrailBear

You can try spraying it with wd40 or a good penetrating oil, if you can get both ends do it a few times and let it soak. Then try to tighten the bolt if you can get it to start tightening keep spraying it down and work it loose then tight till it goes. You might get it, it's most likely gald up or had dirt on the threads.

If you don't push the limits how do you find them??

Atch

Yep, I'd try pb blaster first before cutting. If it doesn't work I'd go Eddie's route

orngcrushrgrl

One of the bolts that hold the fender "pants" in place is gone on the Crushr. I'm gonna hafta figure out how to get the thing from flapping in the wind.

billybob990

Use some P.B. blaster, best stuff I've ever used it smells pretty funky bit its really good. If you get it spray it in a Styrofoam cup and watch what it does lol

Ben-0

O ya me and pb blaster are best of friends, like I said I live on a farm...it's a must have haha
Hit with some of that last night I'll set it set for a bit and hit it again in a few mins

Not sure what a blot is but when I have bolts or nuts stuck on aircraft especially in hi-temp areas I use wintergreen to help break them loose. I have also use Phillips Milk of Magnesium. Not sure how it works but it does. It removes lock nuts off of engine exhast cowlings with excessive heat.

R/
Will

bgall

If it is not near anything carrying fuel (or anything else flammable or meltable), put a torch on it. You would be amazed at what a liberal application of heat can do to loosen a stubborn bolt.

Ben-0

Not sure what a blot is but when I have bolts or nuts stuck on aircraft especially in hi-temp areas I use wintergreen to help break them loose. I have also use Phillips Milk of Magnesium. Not sure how it works but it does. It removes lock nuts off of engine exhast cowlings with excessive heat.

R/
Will

Wow haha I didn't even realize that...my iPhones auto corrected it to blot not bolt hahaha wow I feel dumb...just like anytime I type f*** it auto corrects it to duck

But any ways I'll have to look into those iv never heard of them

Ben-0

If it is not near anything carrying fuel (or anything else flammable or meltable), put a torch on it. You would be amazed at what a liberal application of heat can do to loosen a stubborn bolt.

I believe the gas tank is right next to it...that's usually what I'd do tho

bgall

If you are looking for a chemical to loosen it I have yet to find anything that works as well as Kroil.

Wow haha I didn't even realize that...my iPhones auto corrected it to blot not bolt hahaha wow I feel dumb...just like anytime I type f*** it auto corrects it to duck

But any ways I'll have to look into those iv never heard of them

The US Government has a lot of EPA restrictions and chemicals we can use. For the most part if it isn't on an Authorized Use List (AUL) can't use it. Sailors are resourcefull.

Ben-0

The US Government has a lot of EPA restrictions and chemicals we can use. For the most part if it isn't on an Authorized Use List (AUL) can't use it. Sailors are resourcefull.

That's pretty cool, the resourcefulness that is, I was wondering how or why you had came up with those solutions

That's pretty cool, the resourcefulness that is, I was wondering how or why you had came up with those solutions

Milk of Magneseum does not have an MSDS and we can get it from medical. The wintergreen not sure where we get it from but it does make the shop smell good. cleans out the sinuses as well.

Top Bottom