Solid brand D44 Diff covers

jeeeep

Hooked
I received some Solid Diff covers as a gift and noticed on their website they hold more fluid than stock, also read on another site they need to have some material removed to fit the Rubi.
Anyone have these installed and did you fill same as stock or to the fill plug and did you have to remove any material to fit?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It'll hold a bit more than stock but not enough to really matter. The stock amount of oil or, just to the base of the axle tubes is where you want to fill it to - NOT to the fill hole. If you do that, you will have over filled the diff and you will have a mess on your hands.

Regarding Rubicons, the solenoid inside will make contact with the cover if it isn't clearanced.

jkmadness

It'll hold a bit more than stock but not enough to really matter. The stock amount of oil or, just to the base of the axle tubes is where you want to fill it to - NOT to the fill hole. If you do that, you will have over filled the diff and you will have a mess on your hands.

Regarding Rubicons, the solenoid inside will make contact with the cover if it isn't clearanced.

I have them too and I was wondering with the air lockers in there too, isn't that not enough lube. And I guess I will have to rig some sort of dipstick then :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have them too and I was wondering with the air lockers in there too, isn't that not enough lube. And I guess I will have to rig some sort of dipstick then :)

How much lube do you think you really need?

Just take a zip tie, bend it in a 90° angle and use it as a dip stick. Again, you just want the fluid to be sitting at about the base of the axle tube. Too much more than that and you'll be spitting gear oil out your breather and or out your seals.

kRay.JK

Could you elaborate on clearance-ing for Rubicon models? Is this for all aftermarket diff covers or just SOLID brand?

jkmadness

How much lube do you think you really need?

Just take a zip tie, bend it in a 90° angle and use it as a dip stick. Again, you just want the fluid to be sitting at about the base of the axle tube. Too much more than that and you'll be spitting gear oil out your breather and or out your seals.

Thank you Eddie :)

jeeeep

Hooked

x2 - could you elaborate on the clearance? how can I check this?

ttfhell

Use marking paint on the solenoid. Test fit the cover, if paint is on the inner of the cover grind down. Repeat until no paint transfer.
BTW not doing this cost me a locker which is actually leading to a whole new axle due to my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
cool - thanks

I called and spoke to them about the clearance issue and they confirmed that the original ones did have to be ground for the Rubi but these revised units should clear fine. Was also told to use the amount of fluid recommended in the manual - the higher fill plug is to allow for caster on various lifts ...but I think i'll still test easy few extra minutes of precaution...

Last edited:

Chicagojk

Clearance issues

I emailed them and was told the same thing. I just ordered mine and plan on installing next week. Hopefully no grinding is needed.

cool - thanks

I called and spoke to them about the clearance issue and they confirmed that the original ones did have to be ground for the Rubi but these revised units should clear fine. Was also told to use the amount of fluid recommended in the manual - the higher fill plug is to allow for caster on various lifts ...but I think i'll still test easy few extra minutes of precaution...

dinojeep

I installed a SOLID cover on my 44 rubi front. I called and asked them about the clearance. They said its all set, it will fit fine. I installed it in the fall. It's been great. Locker works fine.
X2 or 3 about not over filling it with oil. I over filled mine and I can still smell the oil. It's still all over the place.
But this thing is way better than stock. Much thicker.

IMAG1425.jpg

IMAG1426.jpg

Top Bottom