?'s about buying a D44 front housing

DEMNJK11

The axle has a few upgrades but mainly bare...It has alloy axle tube seals ball joints diff cover bearing caps Ball joints are adjustable, he thinks the c's are bent, due to performing an alignment on vehilce before removing the alignment was in spec, which he believes is due to the adjustable ball joints.

So I'm strongly considering due to the fact I need to gusset and truss anyhow whether I get this axle or just on my D30, also need to re-gear and get lockers. I plan on using from my knuckles out for time being until I can get the Reids. So really the way I'm looking at it I'd only be out of pocket for the axle, getting the C's straightened and the axle shafts other than what I need anyhow.

My questions are does this sound about right to everyone else and is it possible to straighten the C's? Looking for feedback ASAP I don't want to lose the axle if it is a good deal.

Thanks,
Brandon

DEMNJK11

The first pic is drivers side and the second is passenger and also anyone have a clue what ball joints those are?

Attachments

• image-3144544496.jpg
    image-3144544496.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 119
  • image-507996857.jpg
    image-507996857.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 118
Sounds like a lot of work just get them ready to use. If you can I would say hold on to your D30 and put c gussets on them. Off-road Evolution has c-gussets for $60.00 a set plush shipping. As for the re-gear for lockers again I would wait as LNG as possible and save for a new PR44. You might be opening a can of worms or money pit. First it is the c's then it turns into axle housing. In my humble opinion (IMHO) I would wait. Just my thoughts

I am new to jeeps but just seems to be a lot. Any history n the vehicle it came off of? Was there any front end damage due to an accident?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I honestly don't know but let's give this a bump to the top again for ya

Sent from my iPhone somewhere over the rainbow

The axle has a few upgrades but mainly bare...It has alloy axle tube seals ball joints diff cover bearing caps Ball joints are adjustable, he thinks the c's are bent, due to performing an alignment on vehilce before removing the alignment was in spec, which he believes is due to the adjustable ball joints.

So I'm strongly considering due to the fact I need to gusset and truss anyhow whether I get this axle or just on my D30, also need to re-gear and get lockers. I plan on using from my knuckles out for time being until I can get the Reids. So really the way I'm looking at it I'd only be out of pocket for the axle, getting the C's straightened and the axle shafts other than what I need anyhow.

My questions are does this sound about right to everyone else and is it possible to straighten the C's? Looking for feedback ASAP I don't want to lose the axle if it is a good deal.

Thanks,
Brandon

I am not 100% sure, but I think that they can not be straightened out. The C's are the weakest point of the axle as it is and I think that trying to bend them BACK would do more harm then good. I would pass on it unless he is giving it to you free. As far as sticking with your 30, why not? What size tires are you running or considering running?

I know for sure you DO NOT want to lock your 30!!! I am sure people do it and I am sure people have success doing it, but DONT! The 30 is a capable axle and will last you if you do not abuse it, and by locking it, you are putting more pressure on already small/weaker parts. But you can wheel with your 30 for now and save (LIKE ME) for a PR44. Now it needs to be said, EVERYTHING BREAKS... So keep that in mind!

munstie

I am personally running 37s on my 30 (with 5.13s might I add) so it is possible. But like I said, NO LOCK - NO LOCK - NO LOCK and put your nickles and dimes in a can for your PR44.

Here we go again^^^^:rolleyes: I will be running this same setup after the 28th, until I can buy a 60.only difference I'm running 35's...

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

suicideking

I agree that this D44 sounds like more work than it's worth. Unless you're getting it for free and can do the work yourself (or REAL cheap), I'd say pass. If you can get a D44 that's in decent shape for a good price, then do it. I bought a D44, but it was practically new when I got it, only 1500 miles.

Also agree with wheeling the D30 until you break it, but don't put much $$ into it because you're throwing money away.

Here we go again^^^^:rolleyes: I will be running this same setup after the 28th, until I can buy a 60.only difference I'm running 35's...

Don't think you really need a 60 if you're running 35's. Maybe if you want to upgrade to 37's+. A D44 or PR44 is plenty for 35's.

Last edited:

it seems the topic comes up a lot and I am the only one doing it.... it seems anyways...:rolleyes:

edit: i guess if i'm the only one...........:confused:

andrew -

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
it seems the topic comes up a lot and I am the only one doing it.... it seems anyways...:rolleyes:

edit: i guess if i'm the only one...........:confused:

andrew -

Lol the debate of a D30's capabilities will eventually arise in this thread or another very soon I promise

Sent from my iPhone somewhere over the rainbow

DEMNJK11

Ok so even if the c is slightly bent gussetting trussing and sleeping the axle won't prevent it from bending more? Cause I mean if I have to buy all the in needs for this axle if it ever gets to bad ill just buy a pr housing and swap internals just don't have the cash for a pr right now.

Ok so even if the c is slightly bent gussetting trussing and sleeping the axle won't prevent it from bending more? Cause I mean if I have to buy all the in needs for this axle if it ever gets to bad ill just buy a pr housing and swap internals just don't have the cash for a pr right now.

i wouldnt "sleep" with the axle as that my be dangerous...:eek:

but if they r bent, i would assume gussets would keep them from bending more. but there is no way to prevent the damage to your tires - ball joints - and any other suspension parts that may come from running on a bent c.

andrew -

DEMNJK11

Lmao sleeving* def would not be a fun night sleeping with the axle...and ya true but the guy also said that it aligns fine and he had no issues in abnormal wear or any steering issues... I only keep adding more to see cause I think I can get this housing for between $500-$700 and a buddy of mine does weld so any welding we could do just the gears would really be the only part I have a shop do the rest would be done myself. This guy had the axle for 5 months he's honestly not even sure the C's are bent after talking with him more he " just figured they were since it had adjustable ball joints". Which I mean I don't blame him but I just keep going back and forth on if its worth it at that price : /

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

If you have a D30 your not going to be able to swap the internals to a D44.

Top Bottom